Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trying to cool down a hot and bothered pc!

815 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Tyree 
#1 ·
Hi

Trying to cool down a hot and bothered pc!

Its an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Kentsfield).

Its fine when idling but when loaded to 100% rendering some 3D images the temp climbs to 85 degs and the cpu fan is super noisy.

Have a look at the attached picture.

Here's things I've tried:

1. Replaced the original 850W PSU with a more modest 500W PSU - still hot and noisy.

2. Cleaned the fans - no change

3. Replaced the old stock Intel heatsink with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink, the reviews were fantastic so got it and installed it correctly, being careful to remove all the original thermal paste etc.

I thought this had worked as the idling temp seemed lower but sadly once the CPU usage hit 100% the temp in most of the cores reached 85 again.

The machine is now quieter but still hot!

I'm a little out of ideas now, no idea why its so hot. The case, should mention the case, its huge, absolutely huge, very hi-tech with lots and lots of ventilation meshes on the sides etc.

Whats weird is I have another pc with the same cpu, in a small cramped case, with stock heatsink and the temp never gets above 69 degs.

The only difference in the cool machine is the Frequency of the cpu:

hot one says 1598Mhz (266.39 x 6.0)

cold one says 2393Mhz (265 x 9.0)

Any ideas? Could it be that the previous owner has tried to overclock it or something?

Thanks for taking the time to look!

See less See more
#2 ·
High temps are commonly dust buildup, insufficient power or poor airflow in the case.
PC Specs of the problematic PC?
Pre- Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.