Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Trying to a build a computer, but no BIOS

This is a discussion on Trying to a build a computer, but no BIOS within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey all, new here, just thought I'd make a post since I'm on the brink of putting everything I just

Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey all, new here, just thought I'd make a post since I'm on the brink of putting everything I just bought on Craigslist to get back whatever money I can. I'm pretty sure I'm putting everything together correctly, but this is my first DIY computer. I connect everything up and turn it on. I'm getting power. Power supply fan turns, CPU fan turns, CD tray opens and closes, hard drive vibrates (not sure how to describe it when it's running other than "vibrates"). I took it in to Best Buy to see if they could get it up to at least the BIOS screen. I paid them $70 to take 3 days and tell me what I was already thinking, that it could be something wrong with the motherboard.

During the time the computer was at Best Buy, I've been reading forums and tried things out after I got the computer back. This is getting frustrating because I was convinced that it was the motherboard, so I bought a new one. It's the exact same thing: everything is getting power (this motherboard even has an LED that lights up saying there's power going through) but nothing comes up on the screen. My Dell monitor goes into power-saving mode, and I get no start-up beeps.

I unplugged everything. I tried turning it on without a RAM stick, nothing.
I took the SATA cables and disconnected the power cables from the hard drive and CD tray (I left them both inside the case though) to start it up with only the monitor attached and key into the USB. Even with just the keyboard and monitor, nothing comes up. I'm sure the USB is getting power since when I plugged my speakers into it, the speakers' light came on (little USB speakers).
I removed the CMOS battery, counted 20-Mississippis, then put it back on but got the same issue. Like I said, I'm on the brink of just putting all this crap on Craigslist and seeing how much of the thousand dollars I spent I can get back. Even with two different motherboards and CPUs, I'm getting the same issue. I will post the specs with the motherboard and CPU I'm currently using.

Current Setup
Case: Thermaltake V2 Mid Tower ATX
Motherboard: M4A785-M
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8Ghz CPU OEM
Power supply: GS700 High Performance 700W P
RAM: 1Gb PNY DDR2 PC2-5300
Monitor: Dell SR2320L Flat
Hard drive: Seagate 1.5TB LP Serial ATA HD 5900/32MB/SATA-3G

The previous combination I was using is,
Motherboard: Gigabyte M68MT-S2P GeForce 7025 DDR3 AM3 MB
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6Ghz 95W OEM CPU
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 PC10666 1333MHz 4096MB x2

Like I said, regardless of which combination I used, the same problem. I bought the 1Gb of RAM for the current setup just in case, but it's the same thing with or without the RAM. This is just about everything I've been able to find online. If this is happening with both motherboards, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Tigerdirect wants to charge me $130 to put it together and Best Buy wants to charge me $200. The problem is that I'm pretty sure they're going to charge me whether it works or not, so I'm leaning to just selling everything if I can't find a way to do this on my own. I've tried reading everything I could online, what else am I missing?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I would suggest that you remove the components from the case and bench test the components.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...em-262998.html

Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Just a thought buddy... Have you tried a different monitor?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yes, I connected the computer to my brother's computer, same thing. I use the monitor currently as a dual-screen for my laptop.

I did the bench test: awesome idea! I don't understand why the guys at Best Buy couldn't have done this (makes me wonder *** I paid them $70 for). I do have one question though. I said earlier I had bought a new motherboard and CPU. I had added thermal paste to it. When you told me to try a bench test, my GTX 580 didn't fit the new motherboard so I went back to the old one to try out the bench test, since it said to include the video card. I took the CPU fan off the other board and now I have it on this one. I just plucked it and put it back. Is the paste on the CPU fan enough or should I take the CPU fan off, put more paste on the CPU, and put it back on? There was still some residue from the first time, and it's still malleable which I think I read means that it's still good.

So I did the bench thing. Everything works. I think. It goes to a black screen with white writing, shows up something and then goes to a screen that just says
"Load Operating System...
Boot from CD/DVD :
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Now I can't find the motherboard CD, so I'm stuck until I find a way to start this thing up. I searched again and know where I can download BIOS and driver software from Gigabyte website, but I don't know what to do with it once I download it so I'm still looking for the CD. Thanks for the bench testing tutorial though, it saved me.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
Moderator hardware team

My System

Quote:
It goes to a black screen with white writing, shows up something and then goes to a screen that just says
"Load Operating System...
Boot from CD/DVD :
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
This is telling us the hardware is functional. At this point get your Windows disk and start installing your operating system (yes, with the computer laying out on the bench)

DO NOT update BIOS unless and until you hit an issue which a BIOS update specifically addresses. You will need, however, the motherboard chipset, audio, video, and LAN drivers. Do not confuse the drivers with BIOS; they are not the same.

Re Thermal Paste: For best results, each time a heatsink (CPU or GPU) is removed, the existing thermal paste should be completely cleaned from the processor and heatsink, then new paste applied.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

Okay, I see what your saying about the drivers and BIOS. Oddly enough, in the Collecting Information part before Installing Windows, I get an error window titled Load Driver, saying "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK." I don't know if I'm having this issue because the CD is dirty? I also had 0xc00000e9 twice but it seems to be random. I'm going to keep trying to install since I got to a different window the last time.

I tried going to Repair Computer instead of Install now, but then it says select hard drive to repair and that if my hard drive doesn't show up, I need a driver for it. And my hard drive doesn't show up. Restarting again. I don't know why the first time I got further and this time, after the error, it's asking for drivers.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
Registered Member

Tried going to Format instead but I get a message saying "Failed to format the selected partition. [Error: 0x80070057]". Same error comes up when I just try to install Windows. The error shows at the beginning of the Copying Windows Files as installation begins. Trying to figure out right now how to get whatever drivers it needs. Found something at a Microsoft thread.

Had to make this as I wasn't able to edit my previous post.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Is this an original Windows disc or a copy?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

Copy. Same Windows version I have on my laptop, Windows Vista Home, I assumed I'd be able to use it on both. Is it possible that I need a new CD and that's the issue?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

It is illegal to install the OS on more than one PC.
Is the original disc a retail version or an OEM Restore disc?
Vista is on DVD.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

Oh, wow, okay. Is that at least the issue then and why it's not working well, or do I have to buy another one and still try to figure out what's going on?
And the original was a restore disc version. Guess I'll go to Best Buy and see what I can find.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware

You can not use the Restore disc. You can use a Linux CD to be certain everything is working.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Registered Member

Thanks a lot guys! The bench testing really helped me out.

I went to Best Buy and bought Windows 7 Home Premium, came with both a 32-bit and 64-bit CD. Everything installed without a problem. Now I'm just downloading drivers then gonna put everything inside the case. Thanks a lot guys! Hopefully anyone searching for the same issue finds this thread and knows to plug everything while outside of the case.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Glad you got it working okay.

When installing in the case make sure that the stand-off are installed correctly

If any issue arise just post back here. Good Luck
Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Dblanchard1278 Send a message via Yahoo to Dblanchard1278

Yes, bench testing is always a good idea before assembling a pc and takes a few minutes to do.
Dblanchard1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblanchard1278 View Post
Yes, bench testing is always a good idea before assembling a pc and takes a few minutes to do.
100% better to do.