Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thermal paste

892 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Tyree 
#1 ·
It's been a couple of years since I assembled a system. I'm really not having any problems but was a little curious about something. The system's I've built I used artic silver on and with those I just put a small bead in the center of the CPU, after using the prep solution that is. And then assembling. The new cooler I just got(Hyper 212 Evo) says to just smear it on the cooler and mount it. This doesn't sound right to me. Has things changed that much or is it just a matter of opinion now? Should I use the paste that came with the cooler or the Artic Silver I have.

Thanks
Patrick

#8 ·
Thanks Tyree. The cooler came with its own paste. Just wanted to know if anyone was familiar with the paste that the Coolmaster's come with. If the Artic Silver is better then I'd go with that also the coolers instructions are saying to smear the paste all over the cooler surface. This is contrary to what I had done in the past. Even Artic Silver has changed things up a bit. They are recommending smearing it over both surfaces with a credit card and then wiping it off before applying line down the center before mounting.

Patrick

#10 ·
I would not hesitate to use the supplied paste. If I'm not mistaken Coolemaster supplies ceramic paste. There are a lot of "suggested" ways to apply paste. I still prefer to apply a thin layer, thin enough to distinguish the lettering on the CPU, covering the entire CPU. I've used that method for literally hundreds of build and have yet to have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.