Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

System Extremely slow after a Bios Update.

This is a discussion on System Extremely slow after a Bios Update. within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm a computer sales rep for a small distributor. One of my customer bought

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 06:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm a computer sales rep for a small distributor. One of my customer bought a DFI-AZ30-TL motherboard, 256mb PC2700 memory, and an Athlon 1800+ from me. He owns a retail shop, and has built many systems.
He put the system together and loaded Win98se and all the drivers. The computer was running great. Then he did a bios update for the motherboard. He had no trouble during the update. When he rebooted the system, he noticed that it was booting up Extremely slow, and the computer is running slow.

Does anyone have any idea of what could have happend? Any help would be great!

Old 11-05-2003, 10:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

I talked with the customer. After raking my brain for a little it dawned on me. He said he updated the bios off of a CD that came with the board. Bios Updates usually don't come on a CD..

He actually loaded the Driver for the Chipset off of the CD. It's still running slowly, but I think it has something to do with a bios setting. But still any other info will help!

Old 11-05-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
Guru

Well, updates may come on a CD; it depends on the update capabilites of the motherboard ROMs. But the CD versions usually are old, and not the latest & greatest; those need to be downloaded here, along with install tools (AWDFLASH.EXE in this case, it's inside the zip file, I checked) and extracted onto a floppy for installation.

But my first thought is this:
After updating any BIOS one always needs to go back in and load the default values, then apply custom setting changes according to the setup of the specific box. So one idea is that the new BIOS is trying to run with jumbled or random settings values. My guess is the customer didn't customize any settings, so maybe re-setting the default values is all that is needed to fix this.

The customer should try this first...
At powerup, press the DELETE key and wait. This will trigger entry into the "Phoenix - AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility". On the first screen, use the arrow keys to highlight "Load Optimized Defaults" then hit Enter. Then hit "Y" to confirm Yes. According to the manual this will load better defaults than the other, failsafe (debugging) choice which appears above it. Then hit F10 to save, confirm Y, and exit. After that, hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE to reboot the PC fresh, and see how it goes now.

I saw this one time with my Win98 box and after the next reboot it never occured again. My suspicion was always that the HDD somehow got forced into a really low-end PIO transfer mode, but that it cleared up once Windows [finally] came up the next time.

Hope this helps,

- clintfan
Old 11-05-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Grin

Thanks a lot, Clintfan! I told him to set the bios to defaults, but I think he may have needed specific instructions, like you provided.
However it was still running slowly after that. I gave him a link to DFI's website that had the correct chipset driver. He installed that and now it's working great!

Thanks again for the help!

Tagtp2002