Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange hanging even after reinstallation on new HDD

657 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Panther063 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My desktop has been acting super weird lately. If I recall correctly, it started when I started running Windows Update since I hadn't used it in a while and wanted to make sure it was up to date. I don't think this is related to Windows Update though, since I just installed Windows 7 again on a different HDD, that I know is good, and the problem still keeps happening.

Generally everything works fine and smoothly at first, but then maybe 10 minutes into using it, everything starts moving super slow... then Explorer becomes unresponsive, I can't click on anything on the task bar, the cursor turns into the loading wheel, if I'm in the middle of an installation, it goes on incessantly, etc.

Like I said, I tried a new installation on a new (and tested) HDD so I can reasonably rule out it being a software or failing HDD issue. I also let Memtest run for 6 passes, and it went through with no errors. One problem I know I have is my cooling isn't the best... I've had the case forever, and the external fans on the top and side of the case have since gotten full of dust and don't work anymore. Only one fan on the back, and the internal fans on the CPU and graphics card still work.

Though I know this problem could very well be caused by overheating as a result, is there any way to further narrow down whether it's the CPU, motherboard, etc. that is problematic? Or do you guys have any other suggestions to try?

Thank you so much in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there,

Hmmm.....turn off your desktop computer, open the case and blowout the dust that's residing in your desktop computer. Then connect your computer to it's peripherals, turn on the computer, and see if the problem still persist after 10min or so.

Hope everything works out well.

#3 ·
Boot in to the BIOS if possible once the system slows, you should be able to find the system temperature reported there, thermal throttling will slow the system down to a crawl if it gets too hot.
Alternatively if the air coming out of the case isn't too hot, open task manager and check Memory usage, it may indicate a memory leak problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.