Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

[SOLVED] PC not switching on

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] PC not switching on within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Please help...I have a MESH computer 2007 Asus p5n-e sli mobo, Intel core2 duo E6700, HEC 550TD-PTE psu, nVidia geforce

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Please help...I have a MESH computer 2007 Asus p5n-e sli mobo, Intel core2 duo E6700, HEC 550TD-PTE psu, nVidia geforce 8800gts (320mb) GPU, 4 x 1GB memory running win xp and win7 on two seperate Seagate Barracuda HDD. Problem i have is that when the pc is switched on, only the green LED lighs up and nothing else, no fans, no HDD.
I have followed instructions on different sites about disconnecting everything except main parts, have bypassed the case power on switch, have tried crossing 14 & 15 on power connector and still the same thing, nothing except the green LED. Have also checked for burn marks on mobo and for burning smells.
This brings it down to a failing or failed psu, the mobo, or the cpu, I have checked all these for visual signs of fault, bent pins etc (no pins on chip).
Any help as on limited budget and dont really want to start buying anything until i find what is faulty.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

I will throw my bet on PSU / I know this sounds crazy but smell the fan output on the power supply very often the dead ones will give a wiff of burning wire / plastic you know that nasty electrical overheating smell

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

thankyou, no smell or signs of burning though, no signs of any problems on psu or mobo, im hoping your right as dont want to go down the new mobo road as more expence and hassel
Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

Another bet on the PSU. You can't get much lower quality than HEC.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Its lasted me 4 years of nearly 24-7, so not bad even though its not got brilliant reviews. Any psu suggestions, have been looking at the ocz stealthxtream and also a coasair
Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Consider yourself more than fortunate it has lasted that length of time and hopefully it hasn't done any damage to other components
OCZ are OK but not top quality.
A minimum 550W SeaSonic made (SeaSonic-XFX) PSU would be the better choice.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thankyou, haven't heard of that make, will have a look. Just after a fairy reliable one that a good all rounder, gaming and media main use
Old 09-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

They don't get any better than SeaSonic. All XFX and all Corsair, except the GS and CX Series, are made by SeaSonic.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
They don't get any better than SeaSonic. All XFX and all Corsair, except the GS and CX Series, are made by SeaSonic.

outstanding advice; pay attention and save yourself alot more headaches

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman View Post
outstanding advice; pay attention and save yourself alot more headaches
And money.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 AM   #11
Registered Member

Had a look at Seasonic and Corsair, both great reviews, Corsair TX & HX series made by SeaSonic anyhow. Decisions decisions, thankyou for your advise, will let you know how I get on
Old 09-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reked71 View Post
Had a look at Seasonic and Corsair, both great reviews, Corsair TX & HX series made by SeaSonic anyhow.

All XFX PSU's are also SeaSonic made.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #13
Registered Member

Finally up and running, decided to go for the Corsair TX750 V2 from NovaTech, sorry for not getting a straight up SeaSonic but found the prices slightly more than the Corsair. Not to bothered about modual psu's hence the reason I went fot the TX and not the HX and for £81 thought not bad.
So thankyou everyone again and hope this helps other with same problem.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

youre corsair V2 is made by seasonic actually

happy to hear your trobules are solved

Closed Thread