Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

[SOLVED] PC not booting up after cleaning fans (possible thermal paste issue?)

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] PC not booting up after cleaning fans (possible thermal paste issue?) within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, Every 2 or so months I like to do a compressed air spray out inside of my PC and

Old 07-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

Every 2 or so months I like to do a compressed air spray out inside of my PC and wipe down on the computer (with the proper wipes of course). Today, I removed two of my fans so that I could clean the dust off of them. The front fan and the CPU fan/heatsink. To note, I have a rather large CPU fan/heatsink since I use my PC for gaming (Dell XPS Studio 9000).

When I put everything back together, the would shut off right before it would boot Windows.

After googling I learned that I may of removed some of the thermal paste, so I ran over to Best Buy to buy some. I followed some YouTube tutorial on how to remove all of the old paste and to how to apply the new paste (pea sized drop). Everything worked out well. Tested out my PC and it worked just fine. I figured the issue was over and I put all of stuff back on it (External HDD, speakers, ethernet, etc.) I go to restart and the PC starts to shut down before booting to Windows again.

I saw some suggestions and read some forums online saying to restore your PC to default settings in the BIOs and now it seems to shut down even sooner.

That aside, any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks. =)

Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Ensure the HSF/fan is properly attached. Also ensure the fan is connected to the correct fan header on the motherboard.

Boot into the BIOS and monitor the temps.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

What part of the BIOs would have the mobo temperature?'

EDIT: Searched around and saw that most Dell mobos do not have this feature. =( No wonder I couldn't find it.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

OEM Bios often lack in features. HWMonitor should work on the OEM Mobo as well as Core Temp.
Was the CPU removed when you removed the heatsink?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
OEM Bios often lack in features. HWMonitor should work on the OEM Mobo as well as Core Temp.
Was the CPU removed when you removed the heatsink?
Nope. I didn't mess with the CPU at all. Just cleaned the top with alcohol as I saw in videos and let it dry. Then I applied the paste. HWMonitor seems be a Windows program and I can't even get into Windows so that doesn't help sadly.

To update, I can go into the bios just fine and mess around. It only shuts off right before booting Windows. As for the paste, I just applied a pea sized amount but I saw they recommended a vertical line on Arctic Silver, maybe I'll try that?

Since my bios doesn't have a cpu temperature option, I'm making two boot discs that have linux that show me the temp (friends suggesting two different ones -- Ultimate Boot disc and Hiren's boot disc)
Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Any Linux version will work to see if the PC can boot and function properly. Ubuntu is a favorite. If you have a 7 disc, boot from it and attempt a Repair.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

I just woke up and to note, I did reapply the paste last night and put the heatsink back on tighter. I did a test start up and I'm in Windows now (thank god). Maybe letting the paste sit longer with the heatsink made it work. Going to try a CPU temperature program. Any tips on which one is the "best"? =P

EDIT: I see the above post already answered my question, lol.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Registered Member

Alright well I finally got to check my cpu temperatures. This is just me on my desktop moving some files around.

Core #0 - 54-56 celsius
Core #1 - 48-51 celsius
Core #2 - 53-54 celsius
Core #3 - 44-46 celsius

I read online that it's only "bad" when it hits 70 degrees celsius. Core 0 and 2 seem a little high, but overall everything seems fine. I'm kind of afraid to push the computer as I do use it for hardcore gaming.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

Your temps are too the high side for idle but acceptable considering those XPX cases are far from the best setup for good cooling. I would use HWMonitor and monitor the temps under a good load.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Your temps are too the high side for idle but acceptable considering those XPX cases are far from the best setup for good cooling. I would use HWMonitor and monitor the temps under a good load.
Yeah, I understand that. I got a massive Radeon 6950 HD that could be giving it more stress too. I'd personally never buy Dell but this one was a gift. Not much I can do about that.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

Was the 6950 GPU added in?
Insufficient power can also cause temps to rise?
Brand & Model of the PSU?

Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Was the 6950 GPU added in?
Insufficient power can also cause temps to rise?
Brand & Model of the PSU?
650W Ultra PSU.
And no, the GPU has been there for a little over a year now.

(To note the psu/gpu along with 8 gb of ddr3 RAM was put in last year) The cpu has been in the PC for three years. My guess is that it's a first gen i7.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

Ultra PSU's are lower quality, and very possibly not 80+ certified, making it a suspect.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Ultra PSU's are lower quality, and very possibly not 80+ certified, making it a suspect.
It seemed to always work fine on my end (I do have a free lifetime warranty on it which is a plus). My PC is probably just getting old... and Dell PCs don't exactly have the best parts in them either. Either way, I'll be building my own PC right after I get my BS in May. Will keep in mind about the Ultra PSUs, thanks!

The desktop seems to be fine now. Been on it for a few hours and the temperatures seem to be "normal" for this thing. No huge jumps or anything like that. Did a Dell diagnostic test and everything passed.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

You're welcome and good luck.
When you're ready to build, use out Suggested Build List as a guide for top quality known compatible components: http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...-a-668661.html