Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

[SOLVED] New intel extreme motherboard with 3.6ghz cpu (both i7)

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] New intel extreme motherboard with 3.6ghz cpu (both i7) within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ok so i got a new motherboard with cpu (intel extreme i7 DX79SI and a normal i7 cpu), plugged it

Old 09-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

ok so i got a new motherboard with cpu (intel extreme i7 DX79SI and a normal i7 cpu), plugged it in and realized my old psu wasnt compatible. got a new psu (600w) plugged it in and started it up, before post the pc powers down. repeat that cycle between 5-10 times to get it running. started to install my motherboard drivers and had to restart to finish some of it when the "powering down" issue started again...after +-10 tries i got it up BUT something was wrong with my drivers so tried to reinstall them all manually.

still have to switch it on 10 times to start but once i got it going i installed all my other drivers in one go, then again the restart thing...
again after 10 turns i got it going so i tried to install guildwars 2, finishes partly then freezes, cant ctrl+alt+del or alt+tab or alt+f4 or nothing. then when i restart i have to do it ten times again....

save me from my mysery...

(got the i7 mobo and cpu with 8g (1333mhz)ram, ati hd 6870 1gb, sound blaster audigy (old school), 600w new power supply,HAF 932 case, win7 ultimate 64bit)

Old 09-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

What specific CPU did you get and is it on that Mobo's Supported CPU list?
Brand & Model of the 600W PSU?
Did you test on the bench prior to installing the components in the case and did it all work as it should?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

ok heres a update...

i made sure prior that all the components would work (apart from the psu which i was sure i would have to replace)...ive fixed the start stop issue by just letting it switch off completely once i shut down (as in all the fans on my chassis stands still) and for some reason that works a charm...

i wanted to run a restore point to which my pc said that i have to run checkdisk because of some bad sectors, which i did and got that ironed out aswell (in terms of mobo dirvers ect.). sectors were fixed (apparently)

would bad sectors be able to freeze my pc even after its been "fixed"

(mobo is lga2011 , same for cpu)
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Are you attempting to use a Hdd that had the OS installed using a different Mobo? If so, you will need to do a Repair install or reinstall (preferred) of the OS.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

clean HDD with fresh win7 install
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post

Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

hey guys, another update...

both motherboard and cpu is socket 2011, everything but the ram is new, did a fresh win7 64bit install (format and all) and still the hitches...

so what i did was i took it to my supplier (where i got the board from) and they informed me that the board is faulty...i was going to suggest to him (the tech guy) that the bios might be cracky but he told me the best would be to leave the bios alone and send it to Jo-Burg for repairs...

So now im stuck with no pc for 2 weeks and the nooby's online are safe...for now...

Thanx Tyree for your help, it certainly pushed me in the right direction, all the best.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

You're welcome and best of luck.
If you post back, include the previously requested info.