Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

[SOLVED] New Build PC Won't Boot

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] New Build PC Won't Boot within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. If I'm honest I don't know if this a MoBo issue or PSU but here goes. This is the first

Old 10-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

If I'm honest I don't know if this a MoBo issue or PSU but here goes. This is the first PC that I've built and I don't know everything about computers but I have a friend who has built two previously and we put my PC together.

Initially everything was fine, after installing all the hardware we started to install windows, managed to get to the language select stage, and then the PC just died. We tried turning it back on but the only the CPU and power supply fans would start, and then die again after a few seconds.

We took practically everything out again, leaving just the MoBo and PSU but still the same problem, fans would start, spin for a few seconds and then die. We checked and double checked all connections and in the end put everything back in but couldn't see what was causing the issue.

Since then I've tried to switch on the computer again and now the fans won't start either. It shows no signs of life at all.

All the parts are listed below and if I have to replace something then so be it, but obviously I'd much rather get this sorted. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

XCLIO GODSPEED TWO CASE
8GB 2x4GB CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
Intel Core i5 2500K unlocked s
1TB Seagate ST31000524AS SATA
OCZ 60GB PLUS OCZSSD21VTXPL60G
1280MB EVGA GTX570 SC HD PCI-E
550W NAXN PSU ENP550AGT 83Effi
Ssung 12X BDROM SH-B123L/BSBP
21.5 SAMSUNG E2220N TFT MONITR
GByte Z68A-D3-B3 MoBo

Old 10-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I would suggest that you bench test the components.

How to Bench Test / Troubleshoot Your System

Your symptoms indicate PSU failure (hopefully that is all)

You should consider upgrading the PSU. I would recommend 750W minimum quality unit with your configuration.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
computer wizard

Do What makinu1der2 has suggested,If and when your up and running ,I would consider changing your psu for a better one ,bump it up to at least 650w/750w and choose a well know brand like corsair/seasonic

Google is your friend
brobarapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks, I will bench test and provide an update with the results.

If the PSU has failed, is it possible to repair myself or something that I would need to replace outright?

Also, just out of curiosity, is the 550W PSU that I currently have sufficient or is a 750W PSU needed to ensure everything runs properly?
Old 10-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

To start off, it looks your PSU just about makes the min. requirement for the GTX570.

The GTX570 requires 38Amps on the +12V rail, while your PSU offers a combined output of 38Amps over two +12V rails... clearly insufficient.

Also, this looks like a good enough system, so I'm not sure why you skimped on the PSU. My first suggestion would be to get a quality 650W PSU first. Something from Corsair or Seasonic perhaps?

Also ensure that the +12v rail of the PSU has enough juice for your video card and the other hardware components that make use of it.

Quote:
If the PSU has failed, is it possible to repair myself
It's tricky, I wouldn't recommend it and repairing it won't help in this case.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Do NOT attempt to repair or even open the housing on a PSU!
550W is not sufficient for the GTX 570 and your PSU is very poor quality.
Replace the PSU with a good quality 750W SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair.
When you have a good quality PSU with sufficient power do the bench test.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the advise with the PSU, most likely I will need to upgrade it either way now.

Regarding my current PSU though, it should be good enough to get to the BIOS (and was at least for a few minutes) so can anyone explain why it would have cut out and died?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
computer wizard

You might have something short the board in the case,,Take the board out and bench test it,,,

Google is your friend
Old 10-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

Bench test
Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Registered Member

Just did the bench test and had the same problem with the CPU fan spinning for a few seconds and then dying. I will talk to the supplier tomorrow (Scan.co.uk) and see if I can get the PSU replaced.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

Please let us know hoe the bench test works with a good quality PSU.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
Registered Member

I borrowed a PSU from work (Alpine 550W) and got the fans running, then tried again with my PSU and the fans didn't work so I confirmed that the PSU was the issue.

I then plugged the work PSU back in, attached video card and plugged in monitor, and fired it up again. I had all the fans spinning (PSU, CPU and video card) but nothing up on screen. I've tried two monitors and two cables so it I guess I've missed something but can't figure it out.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
computer wizard

uumh,You will have to wait for tyree on this one,may be that unit is not strong enough to power the gpu?But I would start off to make sure its seated properly

Google is your friend
Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
Registered Member

Ok, I'm a bit of an idiot. I didn't see the power sockets at the back of the video card so hadn't plugged them in, which I guess meant the video card had enough power to spin the fan but not enough to send a picture to the monitor (is this correct?).

Unfortunately though, the PSU I borrowed from work doesn't even have the cables to plug into the video card so it looks like I'm going to have to wait to get the replacement PSU after all.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
computer wizard

I would not go as far as calling yourself a idiot,we all make silly mistakes,,and yes that is why your getting no picture,did you do the same with the previous psu

Google is your friend
Old 10-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Right, the PCIe x 16 slot itself provides about 75 W, which was enough for video cards when it first came out but nowhere near enough for cards today. This is why you could get the fans to spin but not the video to output.

Power requirements for video cards have skyrocketed. First, some motherboards provided a 4-pin Molex header to assist the PCIe slot then card makers put a 6 pin 12 V power connector and then two on the card itself (each an additional 75 W). Now, some of the higher-end cards use 8-pin PCIe connectors for 150 W additional power each.

You still should get a quality 750 W PSU for your system.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobarapas View Post
I would not go as far as calling yourself a idiot,we all make silly mistakes,,and yes that is why your getting no picture,did you do the same with the previous psu
Thanks. We did plug the video card in when my friend was helping me out, and we did get a picture for a couple of minutes before my PSU decided to pack in.

Also thanks MPR for explaining the power consumption of the video card, mine has 2x 6-pin so I'm starting to see why all of you are recommending upgrading to 750W!

I had this in mind for the replacement, Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 CMPSU-750TXV2UK 750W Power Supply (PSU) - Scan.co.uk any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

The Seasonic-made Corsair TX750 V2 with its 62 amp 12V rail will serve your system well. When you get it, be sure to plug in both PCIe connectors. :)
Old 10-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #19
Registered Member

Just wanted to update and say that I got the Corsair PSU and, after fiddling around getting it to fit into the case, everything is working very nicely!

Thanks again for the advice and comments! :)
Old 10-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #20
computer wizard

Glad you got sorted

Google is your friend