Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

[SOLVED] Need bios advice for nv52 laptop

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Need bios advice for nv52 laptop within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guy's I have a question about doing a bios update on a gateway nv52 laptop, so here is the

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Dblanchard1278 Send a message via Yahoo to Dblanchard1278

Hey guy's
I have a question about doing a bios update on a gateway nv52 laptop, so here is the story.
I'm getting ready to order a new hard drive for my lap top so I can get it running again because it's my mobile repair pc. For when I have to go and fix some one's pc for them, I keep diag programs and varius boot disk stored as iso's. Well I made recovery disk and gateway sent me a win 7 upgrade disk to install win 7, on one disk has all the drivers and a folder with a new bios version. I didn't update the bios the last time I had win 7 on it and I have seen a few threads here where people said they had to update thier bios to run win 7 properly. I am some what famiur with the bios update as I have done two of my pc's this year, 1 being my xp 3000+ pc and the other my compaq. But I am leery of doing it with my laptop because of the numerus threads of failed bios updates on lap tops. I don't want a perminate paper weight as I have three in my room that serve that function and one is mine (the nv 52). So should I update the bios? Or should I hold off and see if any bsod errors pop up to do this?

any advice would be greatly appriciated
thanks
Dan

Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Bios updates should only be done if necessary and they address a particular problem you're having. If 7 ran properly before, with no Bios update, then it should run properly again.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Dblanchard1278 Send a message via Yahoo to Dblanchard1278

Ok thanks Tyree, that's what I thoughtbut I just had to make sure though.