Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

[SOLVED] Monitor won't turn on suddenly.

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Monitor won't turn on suddenly. within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently factory restored my computer, today actually. I had it running fine and was installing some of my old

Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently factory restored my computer, today actually. I had it running fine and was installing some of my old programs and transferring over some pictures I had put onto a flash drive. I left the computer on as I went out for 3 hours, allowing everything to finish and hope it'd be done by the time I got back. When I got back, the monitor was black and had a white stripe going across the middle with all weird colored dots within the white stripe. I figured the computer had frozen somehow, but now my monitor won't turn on at all. I manually restart the computer with the power button, I hear the fan going on and I even hear the beep noise, but my monitor is still black. When I touch the power button on my monitor, I get the noise it usually makes followed by the gateway logo. After a few seconds it just says no signal. What could be the issue here?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

Can you try another monitor?

This will tell us if its the monitor or your video card.

Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Masterchiefxx17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

I planned on bringing the computer over a friends house tomorrow to test that theory out. Is that the only two issues? It's either the monitor or the VC ?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noprisoners4lif View Post
I planned on bringing the computer over a friends house tomorrow to test that theory out. Is that the only two issues? It's either the monitor or the VC ?
There can always be other issues. It's just the Monitor and Video card are the most likely.

Post back tomorrow with your results from the other monitor.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

Brand & Model Number of the gateway?
Has any hardware been added/changed from the original configuration?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

Well it started working again last night after I played around a bit with the DVI. I tried plugging it into my other DVI port on my vc and it worked. So I thought that DVI port got burned out, but then I tried putting it in the other DVI port that I thought was burned out and it worked too so I'm at a loss lol. I didn't do anything different than I did 2 hours prior but at least it's working right now.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

My System

Im glad its working. If there are any other errors please post back.

If you find that the monitor is working with no more problems please mark this topic as [SOLVED] with the thread tools at the top.