Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Gateway 838GM with XP won't boot PXE-M0F

4K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  TechChick59 
#1 ·
I recently replaced my harddrive with the idential type of drive... finally got drivers all functional (thanks to your forum!) Computer worked fine for a few days and started to get an error on startup... something to the effect of there is a problem problem with your hard drive and the options were to enter or escape. Ran Disk Doctor, Win doctor, etc. on my norton program and no issues uncovered.

Came home today and computer was frozen up. Upon re-boot got "no boot filename received".... PXE-M0F:Exiting Intel boot agent error. Every time I try to enter safe mode, start windows normally, or last good configuration.... it still doesn't boot.

The Gateway screen comes up, then Microsoft Windows XP... the screen flashes and then it repeats....again and again... Very frustrated..... just had success and then utter failure.... Greatly appreciate any wise advice you can offer!

#2 ·
Re: Gateway 838GM with XP won't boot PXE-M0F

Check in the BIOS to see if hard drive is being detected.

While in BIOS check the boot options and make sure set to boot to hard drive.

If the system is configured to network boot you will usually get the error that you

are currently getting.

#3 ·

In Bios, under the boot options menu is the following:

TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552B -ATAPI
GCR-8483B -ATAPI
ST3200826AS -200GB
IBA FE Slot 0540 v4116

Those are the DVD drive, CD drive, hard drive.....

Not sure where to go next.... hope you have ideas ;)

#5 ·

OK... don't want to screw this up! I have a Seagate hard drive in that desktop, so i would go to the Seagate link and download the SeaTools for windows 32-bit setup file? Since that PC won't boot, I would have to download it on my laptop to something like a jump drive... so would I be able to run the utility off that?

#7 · (Edited)

I've never done that before.... I'm not familiar with the process to download an iso file or burn it to a disc. It sounds like once I did that, i could run the utility from the CD rom on bootup? So is that different than just downloading that file and copying it to a rewritable CD? Sorry, I know I sound like an idiot.... :4-dontkno . Sounds like there's a "process" involved that might be a little more complicated. As always, all advice and your patience are greatly appreciated! :)

#8 · (Edited)

On a working computer ....

This is what you need ...
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image .... not SeaTools for Windows!
SeaTools for DOS tests SATA or ATA drives from a bootable CD-ROM or floppy.
Also download and install ImgBurn.
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
You can then use it to "Write image file to disc"

On the problematic computer ....

The CD will then be bootable. Run the short test, then the long/extended test under "Basic tests". You will see the result being either a PASS or FAIL.

I hope that this helps.

#9 ·

ran the short test and got a message saying that SMART Trip was detected prior to the test starting..... I got a warranty validation code. guessing this isn't good...... started the long test and it's at 14:42:42 and i have no idea, other than the clock on it ticking off seconds, whether it's running or not...

#12 ·

That's what I thought. Question.... this is the second one of these hard drives in this PC. This is actually the "new" replacement. Any chance the PC is doing this to the drives or do you think I got a bad drive? The first drive lasted 4 years.... this one about 4 days.... Just want to make sure a don't demand a refund on this if my PC is the problem.... On the other hand, if I got a lemon, I deserve a refund! :)

#15 ·

I've never seen a motherboard cause that, but I have seen low quality power supplies take out a drive. I had to rebuild my brother's pc I built him for his birthday, luckaly it didn't take the motherboard too. Now his pc has a 400 watt corsair I bought last year in it. What model and wattage is your current psu? There is a sticker located on the power supply unit that will tell you, you might need to remove the psu to see the sticker but most time you can see it when you remove the side pannel.

#16 ·

AustrAlien....

wow... That's pretty wild about the bulk order with a 50% failure rate... Makes me feel slightly better about my one bad drive. Now I will find out how ethical the merchant is. Paid via PayPal, so at least I have some additional recourse. Thanks for the info!

i appreciate the help and support from everybody... will let you know how it works out! Technical failures suck and are costly-both in time, data, and sometimes financially; but I learn something every time!

#17 ·

Finally, something positive! I returned the hard drive, expecting grief from the seller since their return policy looked like it made returns pretty close to impossible! I as amazed to see they acknowledge the drive is defective and are going to replace it! Hopefully the re-install of the hardware, operating system, software and data go well..... I'm getting way too much practice on those :)

#18 ·

Pleased that things are working out as hoped for you, and thank you for letting us know.

If your issue has been resolved satisfactorily, please mark this thread as "Solved" by using the Thread Tools drop-down menu (above your first post) and selecting "Mark this thread as solved".

Best wishes with the re-install ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.