Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

[SOLVED] Computer shuts off after 5 min

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Computer shuts off after 5 min within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just installed a E8400 onto my g33 motherboard and got to desktop thinking everything is fine and i go

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just installed a E8400 onto my g33 motherboard and got to desktop thinking everything is fine and i go to my computer and try to update the windows rating system and it finishes and it goes DOWN from 4.4 to 3.2 and then a little after that the whole computer shuts off and i can't turn it back on untill i wait a little while. At first i thought it was the cpu overheating but i put enough thermal paste on but then i looked at the bottom of the cpu and it has a little thermal past on it. Would a tiny bit of thermal paste on the bottom of the cpu be the cause and if it is, do i just use cotton balls and que tips?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Metallic compound paste is conductive and could cause a short. If you see paste then it's a possibility you used too much. A VERY common cause of CPU overheating is not getting all 4 legs of the CPU cooler firmly seated into the Mobo.
Have you checked the temps in the Bios?
I would recommend removing the fan/heatsink, remove all paste and start over.
PC Specs?
Prebuilt- Brand Name & Model Number
Custom Build- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Use this guide to replace the thermal paste and don't forget to clean off the old as per instrucions prior to applying any new. Once you have it on, don't take it apart even to look at it. And, we do need those requested specs as noted by my team mate Tyree.

Applying Artic Silver Thermal Paste
Old 01-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Registered Member

Computer Specs: Inspiron 530
Intel G33 motherboard chipset ver. g33mo2
[/SIZE] (g33mo3 supports quad core had to find that out the hard way:(
9800gtx+
550 power supply
4gb ddr2 ram
Old cpu was a 1.6ghz dual core and one core was overclocked to 1.8ghz
cpu i installed was a E8400 and i cleaned it real well off but i think it might be either damaged on the bottom or my motherboard doesn't support 45nm

i looked in bios and on this computer i can't find were its at and were to overclock it if i wanted to
Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

Remarkable how similar our issue is. I just installed an E8400 into my computer too and at first it was unstable and kept crashing too. Temps are fine, but my voltages were imbalanced, one core was set way too high. I can't change voltages in my bios though, so I underclocked my FSB and that seemed to do the trick. Maybe that could work for you ,just to see if that's the issue.

I'm pretty sure in my case the motherboard doesn't support the full FSB speed of my CPU. :(
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

I FIX IT!!! you guys were right the fan wasn't installed properly, the intel ones have the clips and my dell inspiron was very small and i guess i basically every time must of just set it down on top with out it acually cliping, but i used my old cpu fan that has screws and everything works perfectly, computer score is now a 6.2
made my ram score go up too, thanks for the help , now i can play gta 4 with out laggin!