Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

[SOLVED] Boot Failure

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Boot Failure within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneles View Post
Thére is a problem with the BIOS settings AND drivers/software in Windows. Let us concentrate on the BIOS issue first:
Please list which channels the drives (CD, DVD, HDDs) are connected to the motherboard. Check the cables/connectors inside the case to see if they are broken or loose.
My IDE1 (Blue) isn't connected to anything. My IDE2 is connected to both my CD and DVD drives, but I'm not sure how to identify the Master and Slave IDEs.

MY HDD is not connected to any IDE slots, instead it is connected via the SATA cable. Though I have no idea why its detected as Secondary IDE Master.

Quote:
Let's verify that you have the latest Bios. Please post the circled info in the image below. This is the actual Bios ver and release date info. Click image for larger view.
The strange thing is after I got the PC to be able to boot up, this BIOS screen is being skipped for some reason. I get a black loading screen and it boots directly to my Windows XP instead.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 PM   #22
I helped the forums.

My System

Under On-chip ATAs make try the following settings:

Ata Configuration = Pata+Sata
Combined Mode Option = Sata 1st Channel
Sata Ports Definition = P0-Master / P1-Slave

If this doesn't work then post back and we'll try some other settings, but I believe this will get you booting to the Sata channel and allow your Secondary IDE channel to be seen by Windows.

Now, before you exit bios, go to Advanced Bios Features and disable "Quick boot" and "Full Screen Logo". (This will allow you to see the 1st boot screen where you'll be able to retrieve the Bios string I requested. You can hit the "Pause" key on the keyboard if you need time to write it down. To continue booting simply hit enter.) Save and Exit.

Post back with results of the new configuration and the Bios string.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 PM   #23
Registered Member

Okay great! My CD and DVD drives are found!

As for the BIOS, the version is pretty outdated:
AMIBios - A6728IMS V3.A 092904

Hmm, I guess the BIOS problem is solved. But I still have my DirectX problem, I'm pretty unsure whether it's still the BIOS problem or something other than that.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #24
I helped the forums.

My System

Glad to hear you've got your optical drives back.

The Bios is old, but it's actually the latest release.

As for the DX issue, I'm going let Eneles take back over from here. You're in very capable hands.

Have a great day.

One last thought, if you continue to get the Dram settings error, you might consider loosing up your memory timings a tad bit in Bios or giving the Vdimm a slight bump.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:18 AM   #25
Registered Member

Hmm, thanks for the help!

I think I would try not to touch the DRAM settings, lest I get another big problem on my hands.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:40 AM   #26
Not...

Please reinstall DirectX9.0c. You also have to reinstall the driver for your video card:

Download and install Driver cleaner. Don't use the program yet.

Uninstall ALL ATI drivers in Control panel > Add or remove programs.

Reboot and start Driver cleaner and remove any remaining ATI driver software.

Reboot again and update the chipset driver at MSI's website.

Reboot once again - download and install the Catalyst 6.2 driver from ATI.

After a final reboot it should be working.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:48 AM   #27
Registered Member

Hmm, quick question, the Catalyst 6.2 Driver is for Windows 2000, do I get the XP version instead?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:56 AM   #28
Not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinesage View Post
Hmm, quick question, the Catalyst 6.2 Driver is for Windows 2000, do I get the XP version instead?
Sorry. Guess I'm not fully awake yet (morning here) . Try this driver.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:01 AM   #29
Registered Member

I followed your instructions, and did everything in order. But the same problem is still there, DirectX is unable to detect acceleration.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:38 AM   #30
Not...

Please post a screenshot of Device manager with "Display adapters" expanded (click the +).
Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 AM   #31
Registered Member

Nothing appears wrong there. Though I find it funny why only accleration is disabled, I mean the GFX card still allows me to switch resolutions, so I don't suppose it's faulty?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:04 AM   #32
Not...

Yeah, it looks OK. Weird . Try installing this driver. Make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework installed. Remember to remove the old driver prior to installing the new one. Install the driver in VGA mode (tap F8 when the computer is booting) with antivirus/antimalware disabled.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #33
Registered Member

So it was the .NET Framework problem I suppose? Because it's fixed now.

Thank you so much!

*Bows*
Old 06-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #34
Not...

Glad you got it fixed