Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] BIOS/Boot Menu does not recognise the CD/DVD Drive... any help appreciated

7K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I have registered in this forum hoping that i might receive some valuable information as to how to go about and fix my Vaio laptop which does not recognise the CD/DVD drive at all in the boot menu.

I read all the threads with similar problems but none are quite the same as my case and not much helpful therefore. Please help me if you can.

It started about two weeks ago when i opened a file from the internet and the whole thing came crashing down. i imagine there must have been several malicious viruses and trojans in the file, since it literally seemed like hell had broken loose. i managed to use the laptop for a few more hours, since i was in the middle of doing a project, and after i turned it off, it wouldn't come back on.

i starts normally when turned on, but it doesn't get very far.

1st screen: VAIO. Intel. Phoenix Technologies. Press F12 for Network Boot.

2nd screen: The bar moving left-to-right and the "(C) Microsoft Corporations" underneath. Sometimes this bar moves normally, other times it is stuck and i have to shut the whole thing down before i restart it again. but when it does get past this point, it gets to the third screen.

3rd screen: (lats for anything between 1-7 seconds.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E ..........

*** STOP dx0000000007E....

Collecting data for crash dump..... %....

4th screen, windows is loading files.

5th screen, Windows Error Recovery. Windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, chose start windows normally.

Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
Start Windows Normally.
-------

6th Screen: Startup Repair: startup repair is checking your system for problems. ......... Windows cannot repair this computer automatically. If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and start again. (none of these are attached). If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance. Click Finish to exit and shut down your computer. View Diagnostic and repair details. Views advanced options for system recovery and support.

Startup Repair > Diagnosis and repair details: > Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------
last succesful boot time: 1/15/2010
number of repair attempts: 12

Session details
---------------------
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows Directory = C:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of Root Causes = 1

several tests are performed

------------------------
Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determkine the cause of the problem.
----------------------------

the whole process is repeated over and over, that is until i finally managed to attain a Vista CD, and when i press F2 the BIOS menu appears, however in there the CD/DVD drive does not appear. What do i do about this? The drive works fine, since it was always working even the day before the virus struck.
This is the Boot menu:
Boot priority order:
1. Internal optical drive
2. Floppy disk drive (*)
3. Internal hard disk drive
4. Network
5. USB Flash (*)

what could it be? how can i load the OS if the CD drive does not appear? Or how can i make the CD drive appear on the BIOS?

any help is much appreciated,

Thanks, VaioUser123

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: BIOS/Boot Menu does not recognise the CD/DVD Drive... any help appreciated

hi, thanks for the reply.

i am so clueless, i had no idea that that is the cd rom drive. in any case however, i have tried several times to boot from that arrangement. i press enter and it doesn't respond, it doesn't even register the call. nothing happens. i even opened tha laptop and reset the little battery so that BIOS could reset itself, as i was explained at another forum. i also pulled the drive itself oyt to make sure that the cables are all connected, i reconnected it and the cd where the vista is spins around very well. what could it be? could it be that the vista CD is not an original? I was given this one, but it is a copy. could it be that the problem is with the CD? but why does it not register anything when i press enter on the Boot menu?

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

#5 ·

so your pulling up the boot menu, selecting the optical drive and then nothing happens?

try using another bootable disc. If you don't have one, click the link in my sig for memtest86+ or the hard drive diags (Hitachi Drive Fitness Test) download one of those and burn the .iso to a cd (you would need burning software like nero, roxio, sonic, UltraISO, something that can burn an image to disc) once the disc is made, try booting to that. If you can, then there is a problem with the vista disc.

#9 · (Edited)

hi guys, thanks for your replies, they have been very helpful.

i managed to install it eventually, and yes, you are right, internal optical drive was the cd rom drive, but i had no idea about that until you pointed it out to me.

however even then the vista would not boot.. i changed the boot priority order several times but it simply would not register any other source other than the internal hard disk.. it was bypassing every other source or drive.. and therefore it would not give me the 'press any key...' screen which was the vista in the cd. finally i had what i thought to be an ingenious idea, (lol), and forced it to boot from the cd by excluding all the other alternatives in the boot menu and leaving only the internal optical drive there, i shut it down and restarted and didn't press any keys but just let it load and it HAD to boot from the cd drive since i had changed ths ettings and excluded every other drive from the boot menu.. and finally, i could not believe it, but there it was, the much waited 'press any key...' screen.

its so ridiculous, since i had the guts of the thing out, and it wouldn't open and i was in the verge of ripping it apart, since i was getting pissed and i was thinking it was finished anyway, and now i have it back, as good as new.

thank you for your help. one thing i have learned is that when it comes to computers, just be relentless with them while staying calm, and watch out cause chances are you have overlooked smth so ridiculously obvious and it is THAT, which causes the whole thing to not work as it should... keep these in mind and you'll get there eventually... :)

regards,

a vaio user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.