Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

[SOLVED] "Press any key to boot from CD" does not respond to Keyboard

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] "Press any key to boot from CD" does not respond to Keyboard within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm trying to fix my friends computer. I believe it has the M863G motherboard . Here's a link http://pcchipsusa.com/prod-m863gv51a.asp But

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm trying to fix my friends computer. I believe it has the M863G motherboard . Here's a link http://pcchipsusa.com/prod-m863gv51a.asp But here's the problem: I put in a bootable DVD in the drive and the screen comes up "to boot from CD press any key" i smash all the buttons in plenty of time yet it acts as if i didn't after the ....'s it says an error about operating system not found!

I have tried a number of things- I made sure the operating system disc worked in my computer,tried a different DVD drive,reset the bios, made sure it is booting from DVD drive in the bios(which it is obviously because of the prompt to "press any key") formatted the hard drive with ERD commander, tried a different hard drive, The keyboard is working fine in the bios (it's a USB keyboard) So anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Part Time Repair Tech

Try one of those PS2 keyboards if you have one. Try a different USB slot (back instead of front of computer or vice versa). Did you actually check the BIOS boot order? What happens when you boot with an Ubuntu LIVE CD? Try the CD in another computer. Maybe the CD is bad. Does the drive spin up after you press any key or does it not even try?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

I do have a PS2 keyboard I could try it with...(I only have 1 monitor so i have to unplug and move everything to try that) I did check the boot order and it is fine. When I boot from Linux it hangs on the first screen and does nothing(can't press F1 or anything just hangs) I tried the disc in my working computer and it's fine. Also the ERD commander disc is a bootable i believe... going to try it with the PS2 keyboard and will post back with the results of that.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #4

My System

Sounds like you need the ps2 keyboard like blade_jones has said.
This has happened to me many times on older boards.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Problem Solved! You guys were right! I had to use a PS2 keyboard! I would have tried it earlier but there was a piece from a old keyboard stuck in the PS2 port. I took one of my old keyboards and snapped the same plastic piece off that was stuck in there and it worked like a charm. Thanks Blade_Jones and Crucial09
Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

also check that the bios is set to usb enabled on boot