Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] A strange problem

777 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  patmark 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have a problem with an e machine that I've never encountered before perhaps one of you experts will take pity on me and see if you can help.

Computer Specs:
EMachine T2958 Desktop
Intel Motherboard
Intel Celeron D processor 330
1 stick 512 DDR Ram
Bestek 300W Power supply
80 Gig HD
DVD Rom
CDRW
Onboard Vid, sound, Nic, Ect.
Windows XP Home (not sure about the SP as it won't boot.)

Problem: When the power button is pressed, it takes several seconds for the computer to start start itself. Once the computer starts the fans run, led on mobo lights, DVD rom is checked, CD RW is checked, all looks good. Then the computer shuts off, (nothing). This process takes approx. 7 seconds.

There is no chance to get into the bios, I've replaced the cmos battery with a brand new one and reset the bios. I have also tried booting from a CD, and have put in another HD to try it with that. Unfortunately I only have the one stick of Ram for this computer, none of the other Ram sticks that I have are compatable.

I have been working with computers for many years, but I have never ran into one that I am completely unable to at least get into the Bios. Currently the HD that came with the computer is the one that is plugged in, the test HD I put in is not attached. I am getting the proper voltages from the power supply, so at this point I am thinking that the MOBO has a short or that the Ram is bad. However, my gut is telling me that the problem is neither of these. The Mobo looks just fine.

Thats where I am at at this point, I would be very greatful for any suggestions that you might have for me.

Thanks
Patmark

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: A strange problem

Hi patmark,

The problem could the power supply. Try getting your hands on a spare power supply and test it on your computer. See if the power supply is the issue, hope everything works out well for you.

#4 ·

Thanks Dai, and DB. I will try those suggestions out and let you know how it goes. It's an old computer so If I can't get it going no harm done as it was free, lol. I hope you guys are all well, and thanks again.

Mark

#6 ·

I hear that buddy. Not only is it free, thanks to your suggestion my friend its now working beautifully. I changed the power supply (I had a spare 300 watt one), and it booted right up. Your the man D.B. I've got to head out for now as its about to storm like crazy here in South Florida. The lightnings terrible down here. I will talk to you soon man and thanks again for the help.

Your friend,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.