Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Socket 2011 Motherboard CPU Socket Pins Too Long

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Superion 
#1 ·
Received the socket 2011 motherboard yesterday from NewEgg, installed the CPU's, and it woudn't work. Took off the CPU's and noticed that the pins looked funny. Running my finger lightly over the pins, I can feel that some of them are longer than others. They "hang" on my finger tips as I brush over them.

It's a dual-socket (server) motherboard, and I feel this in both sockets. None of the pins are bent, and none of the pins that are "too high" are adjacent. Each is an isolated and single pin, slightly higher than all the others around it, so it couldn't have been caused by compression damage such as when they put the metal plate in the back of the motherboard, say if a screw or something was sandwiched and compressed. There would be a "clump" of too-high pins with a diameter, or if something scraped from the back-side, there would be a line.

In both sockets, about 10 pins, (roughly) evenly distributed over the entire socket are too high. Despite this, CPU #1 works, and CPU #2 does not. BIOS is fully-updated on the chance that the pins are not the cause.

My primary question is whether or not anyone has ever heard of this before? My thinking is, when the CPU is inserted into the socket, the "too-high" pins bend over and either open against the back of the CPU, or they short against another pin. One one socket works and the other does not, even though both have uneven pins, I can't say.

I called Asus Tech Support and gave him the "Q-code" (error code) and he has nothing listed for it, which makes the problem very rare, and that's consistent with my "too high" CPU pin theory. I have an RMA number, but am going to use NewEgg for the obvious reasons. It's only been here for 2 days.

Anyways, I wanted to throw this out there, to see what help and/or information might be available. Mostly I want to know if I'm the only person in the world that has ever experienced this.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Re: Socket 2011 Motherboard CPU Socket Pins Too Long

Is it socket 2011 or Socket 2011-v3, there seems to be a couple versions of this socket; (also known as LGA2011)

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-39xx Processor Extreme Edition
2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3930K and i7-3820K Processors
3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition
3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-4930K and i7-4820K Processors

these are compatible with LGA2011.

Socket 2011-v3 compatible cpus are as follows;

4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Processor Extreme Edition
4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-5930K Processor
4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor

There are also a vast array off Xeon that are compatible with LGA2011

Is the processor you are trying to install one of these?

#7 ·

Brand & Model of the Mobo and CPU?
ASUS Z9PE-D16/2L

Intel Xeon E5-2609 v2

Yes, I inserted the CPUs the correct way. Again, the defect was that the pins were too long. I did look at the socket under magnification and it looked weird and I couldn't tell why. Some pins looked irregular, but on close inspection looking straight down, they all appeared normal. But when looking at them from an angle, they appeared irregular. That was when the finger testing tool came in. Some of the socket pins were too long.

From the research that I've done, this is an extremely rare, if not unique, defect. No evidence of the board being open box, or factory 2nd, or anything irregular. Although I am unimpressed with Asus for several other reasons, such as the complete lack of documentation as to what is included in the box with the motherboard. When I was packing it up to send back to NewEgg, I had to sift through every single piece of plastic and part for the entire build in order to pick out those things that I thought belonged in the motherboard box. Highly annoying. "Box Includes: X, Y and Z" would have saved me a significant amount of time. Also the plastic covers that are supposed to protect the socket pins during shipment are extremely dangerous to the socket if you don't know exactly how they are supposed to be inserted on top of the socket (vs. into the socket).

I think the whole socket design to be extremely stupid; the idea of these long, slender pins just waiting to be bent over is extremely stupid to me. The older style CPUs that had the pins on the CPU seems to be a much safer way of doing things, as the socket could "funnel" pins where they needed to go if they weren't perfectly straight.

Otherwise, the socket-based pins could be recessed into the socket, and only protrude forward when the locking levers are pushed downwards. The pressure of the locking lever forces the CPU firmly into the socket, while from behind the CPU pins are pushed upwards through the socket to make contact with the CPU.

And if a blue collar guy like me can think of two different ways to do this better, than the Intel engineers are all a pack of idiots. Is my feeling on the matter.

#6 ·

And stop using your finger to inspect the pins. Use a magnifier.

#9 ·
All the current CPUs come in a square package called a pin grid array (PGA), but variations exist within and among manufacturers. Collectively, Intel and AMD have used close to 100 variations of the PGA packages over the years for hundreds of different CPU models with names such as staggered-PGA, micro-PGA, ball grid array, or BGA. ( which uses tiny balls instead of pins), and land grid array ) which uses flat pads instead of pins). Many different varieties of PGA CPUs are based on a number of pins sticking out of the CPU. I do agree in your instance where the pin grid array is hard to comprehend, but you have to agree, the makers didn't make these variations easy for the customer level on accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.