Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

slow PC

4K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  alonm19 
#1 ·
Hi everybody.
I wanted to ask for your grateful help with a problem i have.

i replaced CPU,motherboard and RAM in my father's PC.

the PC was very old and slow so i bought new i3.
of course i installed a fresh new win 7 after the hardware upgrade,
and i made all the driver updates. after that the PC is still slow,
better then what it was but still not what i was expected for.

wish for your help.
thanks ahead.

#2 ·
What components were in the system previously and what brand/model hardware did you install?

The most likely cause is the hard drive which is typically the slowest component. If you watch the activity light for the hard drive is it constantly on?

I've sped up quite a few older systems simply by installing an SSD as the boot drive.

#9 ·
I have never tried to update win 10.
i saw that in the log but i never try.
maybe it's windows automatically?
it's my father's PC so i really don't know what's happened.

how this is and the chrome traffic related to the problem?

i don't dubious your diagnostic but i want to understand.

#13 ·
hi,
i don't think the problem is the capacity,
because for what i remember there is enough space (about 25GB)
and even if it's not enough space the problem starts from the beginning
when there was more free space.
i think the problem is the old hardware for that SAMSUNG
it's an 8MB cache.

am i right about this?
do you think that i need to try to replace it with a 64MB
cache and check it?

#18 ·
GWX is listed in speccy as running. This is the service that downloads Windows 10 quietly in the background, and should be disabled if you don't want to upgrade. Does the computer feel more responsive when not connected to the internet?

GWX.exe
Process ID: 2164
User: uri
Domain: uri-PC
Path: C:\Windows\system32\GWX\GWX.exe
Memory Usage: 560 KB
Peak Memory Usage: 8.88 MB
HeciServer.exe

#20 ·
Win7 requires at least 6GB of RAM to run efficiently and I recommend 8GB minimum. Win8 is about the same and Win10 will require more. These are all 64-bit systems BTW. Yeah, Win7 will run in 2GB (but nothing else useful will run at any reasonable speed) or 4GB (maybe one program -- NOT Chrome -- will run). The problem is that most new software is underpinned by the same bloatware programming model that plagues Windows and other Microsoft programs: .NET programming.

For example, when Chrome first came out I had a Pentium system running 32-bit WinXP on 3.5GB of RAM. I could open a dozen Chrome windows, each with 10-12 tabs active; all at the same time!!

Fast forward to Chrome ver. in the late-20's. Slower and slower and slower. Finally, around Chrome ver. 34, I noticed that once Chrome got more than 2-3 windows open (maybe 10 tabs altogether), it ran through available RAM and started using the hard drive for memory. As any tech can tell you, the hard drive is the worst substitute this side of Cuneiform Tablets for "RAM" memory substitution (aka, paging). And, slower than molasses at the Arctic Circle in January (not to mention all the damage it's doing to the hard drive - hard drive life is measured in hours of operation generally).

All that to say, hope your present RAM is at 6GB or more, and your motherboard can be upgraded to an i7 processor (which will be needed to get any reasonable performance out of Win10 or Win11). Yeah I know they're selling Pentium Dual-Core and i3 and i5 systems with Win10 ... and performance-wise they're dogs for the most part, offered just to hit a price point the average user and afford up front (tho they pay the price in wasted time and so forth later).

Also take note of Koala's note about GWX.exe. Microsoft _IS_ sneaking through their backdoors into certain Win7 systems and trying to "upgrade" them to Win10 when the owners are not looking. There are marketing and political reasons for this that are not germane to this discussion but it is happening so be on the alert. I read one fellow deleted GWX and it magically reappeared during the next Win7 update. Sneaky they are, Bill's minions. ^_^

#21 ·
hi,
i see you write quite a lot so i will try to relate to everything.
first of all thanks a lot for your very detailed answer.
second i cannot effort a i7 (wish i could) and you right for that performance think,
so i need to handle with the budget i have.

i can tell you that my PC is i5 3570K with 8GB
and win7 64 and everything works well (with CHROME 10-12 tabs active).

so maybe the problem is with the 4GB RAM in my father's PC, and the old HDD
that isn't capable handling with the CHROME over RAM consumption.

for what i'm understanding you recommended to upgrade the RAM to 8GB
and replace the HDD for something new. (wish i could effort SSD)

which browser you think i need to use instead of CHROME?

#22 ·
The problem is most likely the old hard drive and as hard drives run, Samsung are the poorest quality IMHO so I would replace it.

While 8 GB would run better, there likely is nothing on the computer that would even require that or fully utilize it and to say that 6 Gb is the standard is really not true other than as an opinion. For the normal user with properly functioning hardware 4 GB is plenty IMHO!

#26 ·
i would also be concerned with those temps.

win 7 runs fine on 4 gig of ram, 2 gig runs it ok. have you downloaded and ran superanti spyware/malwarebytes and decent anti virus. also ccleaner.

they will clean your hard disc drive. also try defragging it via windows or defraggler.

ssd would solve a lot of the issues, but get that temp sorted out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.