Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

shuttle cooler fans location

This is a discussion on shuttle cooler fans location within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Shuttle mainboard FX43G, 462 pin AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 166 MHz. Overheating is currently the favourite suspect for frequent (daily)

Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Shuttle mainboard FX43G, 462 pin AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 166 MHz.

Overheating is currently the favourite suspect for frequent (daily) BSOD crashes on the above system, particularly since running it without its cover it has not crashed in 4 days.
The mainboard has three 3-pin power take-offs for cooling fans labelled 1, 2, and 3. The system / mainboard manual lists Fan 1 as "CPU" Fan 2 as "Chipset" and 3 as "System". Fans 1 and 2 are duly connected to their respective fans, but there is no fan 3, and given the small form factor of Shuttles I cannot see anywhere a third fan could be located. Fan speeds can be controlled via the BIOS with an auto setting that responds to CPU and System teperatures, user can set this to control fan1, fan3, or fan1 & 3 together. Fan 2 sits on top of the chipset and is always on.
So where is Fan 3??? One might expect a "System" fan to serve the whole box, but as mentioned above there just isn't space for such a thing (there is of course a fan in the PSU, but that has its own power supply! with no need for a motherboard take-off).
Is this just a case of a generic board used by larger systems as well as Shuttle? (what threw me here is the excellent detailed manual appears to have been written specifically for the Shuttle, and the section on cooling decidedly implies that 3 fans are used).

Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Is this just a case of a generic board used by larger systems as well as Shuttle?
Possible this is the case. There are 3 fan headers but space restrictions prevent the third fan.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

"System Fan" refers to a case fan.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

thanks guys, pretty much as I expected. Guess I'll just have to get used to using without the cover