Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

SATA drives wont detect harddrive or cd rom HELPPP PLEASE

This is a discussion on SATA drives wont detect harddrive or cd rom HELPPP PLEASE within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok guys, I have a HP a6720y I bought it from a guy and he took the harddrive out, so

Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Ok guys, I have a HP a6720y I bought it from a guy and he took the harddrive out, so I got a western digital 1tb harddrive which used to be external. got it all hooked it up and it wont detect my hard drive or dvd rom, i went to bios and nothing is there, i hooked up a external dvd rom by usb and it detected that and i tried to run windows xp (win 7 wouldnt boot) there is no operating system on the hard drive so i get all through and xp says it cant install because it cant find the hdd. i then took my external apart and put the 1tb in there and on xp install it sees its there but wont install. I think i need my sata drivers for my mothe rboard which is a pegatron m2n78-la i think made by asus. but how can i install the drivers for my mother board when i dont have a operating system installed? PLEASE HELP

Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Installing XP on a SATA drive requires an additional step:

XP Help And Support: 108. How Do I Install Windows XP On A SATA Hard Drive

However, Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

If there are no such settings you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD, follow the instructions in this guide :

How To Slipstream SATA Drivers Into XP CD

or

Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation - How-To Geek

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

ok ill try that, thank you rich

my computer doesnt have a floppy so can i put it on a usb stick and will that work after i press f6 on xp installation and i was on hp website but i cant find the sata drivers for my computer would you know where to find em.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

If HP does not have them, I would try the IDE/SATA setting in BIOS. They will not install from a flash drive
Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

ok thanks rich, new problem, I finally got the windows 7 64 bit dvd to work and it goes right through and everything but same thing happens it asks me for drivers mass storage. im guessing its my SATA drivers, I still dont understand how to install them and what ones to install for my motherboard. it allows me to use floppy, cd or flash i would be using flash but if someone can help me get my sata drives work so it can detect my hardrrive would be good. i dont have any operatin system installed so i did try to download some .exe. file from HP site but its a application and i can only open it on my lap top. anyways if someone could please help me and let me know what files i need and where would be great. thank you guys
Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Have you set SATA to IDE in the Bios?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

hey yes i tried it on ide and its the same thing, i tried it on ahci and raid also. nothing connected tot he sata ports show up in bios, if its connected to usb it will show up, i hooked the hd to a external to try and get a os on it and then do the drivers but it wont install through a usb it says. any thing els ei should try?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Did you install the chipset drivers?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

hey, no i didnt install the chipset drivers,im not really sure how to do that, what are they and how would i do that?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

They should be on the HP support site
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
Registered Member

Confused

yeah i dowloadeded those updates but they are .exe and i have no way of installing them since i dont have a operating system
Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Registered Member

I guess a new question would be how can i, if possible, install a bios update (without a flopy) and with no OS
Old 05-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Windows 7 has SATA drivers native ot the operating system, so those are not the problem. What happens if you cancel to bypass the request for the mass storage device?