Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Replaced with exact motherboard now doesn't work

This is a discussion on Replaced with exact motherboard now doesn't work within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, Need a little advice... I have a laptop I am working on for a customer. The motherboard was

Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

Need a little advice...

I have a laptop I am working on for a customer. The motherboard was fried in their Gateway NV53 and they wanted to pay me to replace it. I ordered an exact replica from China. I installed the motherboard but as the first splash screen came up it says Packard Bell and not Gateway. Then Windows would start up but only to the first screen that is all black with the Windows 7 symbol then freeze about half way. Won't let me do a recovery installation or get into Windows period.

It seems to be able to read the hardware as I pull up the BIOS screen it has the names of the different devices connected such as the DVD drive and hard drive but I can't get it to boot from DVD to do a fresh install of Windows 7? I get an error code when I try to boot from the disc like it's having a hard time talking to the dvd drive. The BIOS screen also shows that it was an Easynote TJ74 motherboard but this is an NV53 laptop? Is there something I can do to get this working again. The mobo is the exact same as the other one? Any advice, not sure what to do next? I was thinking of trying to get DOS up and running a BIOS update? Anybody dealt with something like this before?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Acer owns Gateway, Packard Bell, Emachines and some others so the board may very well be the same but the OEM bios string will be different and could be preventing the OEM version of Windows from loading, you could try a start up repair or upgrade install but may find yourself having to call MS to get it activated again.

Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

I don't mind having to contact MS for re-activation because I believe they will let you activate on new mobo as long as it's an exact mobo replacement. I am just having problems booting the windows installation disk for fresh install. The hardware shows up by name in the BIOS so I'm guessing it's talking with the hardware but after I choose to boot from disk drive it gives me a 0x error which I haven't had a chance to look up yet but just wanted to get my question rolling and see if anyone has dealt with something similar to this. Is there something in the BIOS that needs to be changed? There is no Windows OS installed on this hard drive but there is a recovery partition.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #4

Well, assuming you really did order the motherboard "from China" and it's not going back for any reason, you haven't really got any choice but to try to flash the motherboard to the correct BIOS, hope that the hardware really is the same, hope that the new flash actually works and doesn't brick the machine, and hope that Windows will not find some reason to fail to install after the "right" BIOS has been flashed.

Otherwise, I'd be looking for a way to get your money back. It's obviously not "the same", so depending on who's mistake it is, etc...

Also, consider that it's been refurbished, and for whatever reason they've replaced the BIOS chip with that from another computer. Buying something "from China" opens the door to just about anything one can imagine, so you might want to clarify that point.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Registered Member

Wouldn't it make sense that the same mobo could be flashed from packard bell to a gateway with no flaws? I ordered on ebay under search term gateway nv53 motherboard and this is what came up and the only one i could find is out of china so I ordered it. Let us cross our fingers! I will attempt this weekend after work. I will try to flash it to a gatewawy nv53 bios and hopefully get better results. I'm open for any other suggestions if anyone else reads this thread later on?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrolffs View Post
Wouldn't it make sense that the same mobo could be flashed from packard bell to a gateway with no flaws?
No. There are no guarantees. Labor is so cheap in China that you have to assume that they could have done anything imaginable to that motherboard. If you ordered it with credit card of PayPal, I'd dispute the charges and be done with it.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

I did use paypal and I am in the process of contending it. I am asking for a refund or exact mobo with Gateway BIOS onboard. I just want this chapter to be over with so I can sleep better at night! Customer has been patient tho.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I doubt you'll be able to flash with the correct bios using the conventional methods.
Since the string is different it should intentionally fail to prevent flashing the wrong bios.

Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote