Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

problems...

This is a discussion on problems... within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am having a problem with my Gateway GT5082 computer. It was working fine and then all of a

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Angry

Hello, I am having a problem with my Gateway GT5082 computer. It was working fine and then all of a sudden it won't boot up. The computer starts up but then it just sits there. The monitor is blank. I checked the monitor and it's fine. I replaced the power supply and added a graphics card and still nothing. I also checked the hard drive and it's also fine. I am confussed as to what's wrong. The motherboard is Foxconn C51GU01 and it's reversed. I can't find any motherboards like this. Please help....

Old 04-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Strip it down to just the motherbord, cpu with heatsink, 1 stick ram, video card and psu.
Startup and see if you can get in bios.

Take a close look at the capacitors on the motherboard, do any of the tops look buldged or leaking?

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 04-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to orion84

What exactly happens?

Does the HD start running? I believe if the hard drive runs, then it could be your Gfx card, or even the slot (agp or pci).

If nothing runs, it could be the RAM. try cleaning your board especially the slots. I don't think its the board quite yet, seeing as it can turn on but not boot.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Mistake

I tried stripping it down and tried different combinations of ram and still nothing. All the capacitors look good. I don't get any beeps or anything.
I disconneted the hard drive and disk drive. Was that correct? The motherboard is reversed from a standard board. Attached is a picture of the motherboard. It doesn't seem like the hard drive is starting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C51GU01 Motherboard.pdf (33.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

It looks like you have 4 RAM slots (sorry the pic is small and a little pixelated). Do you have the diagram of your board? Usually boot process starts with the board to detect drives,ram, etc then it follows boot queue from your bios, from starting with your HD (unless you changed this).

Was there a power surge before you experienced the problems? I'd try taking a close look at the ram slots and your agp/pci-e slot, and the ram stick/card itself. I had this problem before and i realized nothing started because my gfx card wasn't completely in the slot.

ALSO unless you modified your bios boot process, a USB drive (in my case my ipod) remained plugged can alter the boot priority of your entire PC, which stops it from doing anything besides turn on.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Registered Member

Grin

Thanks for your help.

I gave up on this. I read some other forums that told me how bad the board really is. There is no replacement boards that don't cost lots of $$$.

I went out and put together a new system with new case. I love the new system I put together. Much faster and the correct case design.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

That was problably the best decision I was leaning to a bad board to begin with but you have to eliminate all possibilties, sure glad you like your new systen great job!

The old board was most likely BTX, although not horible replacements are hard to find, btx boards never really caught on and I guess there a dying breed

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

I feel like an idiot. But congrats on the new system. I wish i could get my hands on one too.