Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Supply Fried, Issue Persists

806 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Saintroi 
#1 ·
I made a Reddit post about this here: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/5hhvs2/power_supply_fried_issues_persisting_after/

I will paste the text below though.

Thank you!

Last night, my power supply died on me. My computer was on when I left, and then when i got back it was off and wouldn't turn on, and it produced an electrical burning smell that was most definitley coming from the power supply.
I processed an RMA through Corsair and I have it shipping to them at the moment, but I went and bought a power supply to hold me over until it gets back and I can return this one. However, i'm still having problems. I did get another 850W like mine was before, and I'm using only cables that came with the new power supply not the ones I had already in the case, as the current power supply is EVGA.
Everything seems to spin up, except the case fans and case lights do not come on. The pump for my water cooling seems to be getting some power, but not enough because the water is just trickling and also some is overflowing out of the top whenever I turn the machine back off.
When it is on, i get this bios-related message on my screen. I have not attempted to actually run SETUP because I don't want my computer running with the pump not working.
My motherboard does have a light code on inside of 99, here is a picture of the inside while it is running. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thank you!
Specs: Case - NZXT Phantom 820 Mobo - ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Graphics - Nvidia GTX 980ti CPU - Intel i7 6700k RAM - G.Skill 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SSD- Samsung 950 pro m.2 slot 256GB HDD- WD Black 2TB

See less See more
#2 ·
If the power supply failed, it's quite possible that other hardware is damaged as well. It's not uncommon for power supply failures to also take other equipment with them when they blow.

Anything directly connected to the power supply, which now isn't working properly, could be damaged as well. So if the pump is directly connected to the power supply and should be powering up as soon as the system is turned on, it would appear to be faulty as well.

The MB error code is generic but basically states something has failed. The error description:

Qcode 99 is "Super IO Initialization" and IO meaning anything connected to the board by any interface is not initializing.

I would say that you need to pull the system apart and bench test it to identify all of the faulty hardware. But that could be difficult as you chose to use water cooling.

#3 ·
I appreciate the response! Yeah, I've sort of figured that much out I suppose. Pulled it all apart today, now to test one by one, already rather certain the water pump is dead as well as the fan/light controller on the board.

I appreciate the input!

#5 ·
To be clear, the lights and fans that came with the case are not plugged in to the motherboard at all, they are connected to the built-in fan/light controller board and it is connected directly to the power supply.

The radiator fans are connected to the motherboard and they spin up just fine, as well as lights on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.