Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

PC unable to start up

This is a discussion on PC unable to start up within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Couldn't find a place to make this thread so this one seemed like a logical choice to start with.. About

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Couldn't find a place to make this thread so this one seemed like a logical choice to start with..

About a week ago my Desktop computer was unable to start it gets just before the screen of Loading windows or along those lines and then it gets restarted and this happened everytime.
I am able to access everything that you can select before start up eg Bios, f10

As there is photos on the drive from a recent holiday i can not format it so i inserted windows XP and partitioned 12 gigs for XP setup, while installing Xp It gets to a certain point and blue screens. So i cannot install a new OS, or start the current one (windows 7)

Any ideas what might be causing the restarting right before the loading screen

PC specs are located on this page http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3378364

Memory has been upgraded a while back with no problems

Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Dblanchard1278 Send a message via Yahoo to Dblanchard1278

Ok first off the reason why you get a blue screen durring windows xp set up is because of the hard drive setting in bios. To install xp you have to change the sata to legacey ide mode. Now for the win7 problem, have you tried safe mode (f8 after the compaq spash screen) . You can do a system resore in safe mode or you can run the start up repair wizard.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

For the system restore i do not have Cds as this is the beta version.
obtained a Windows 7 install cd and again bluescreens At starting windows so i can no longer install 7.
f8 mode seems not to exist. Unable to press f11( system recovery) at startup tho f10(bios) and boot menu still works.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

Make a Windows 7 Recovery Disc: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/window...-repair-discs/

After you make the disc follow these instructions: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...y-options.html

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

Ill bookmark those links for future reference but i do bleive they will be of no help to me now as entering recovery takes me to XP recovery; but as xp is not fully installed it blue-screens.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

If you have experience with linux, you can use a live cd to boot into (without installing anything) and you should be able to access your drive and recover your files to a flash drive.

As for the install issues, try taking out a stick of ram and then attempt the installation again. Repeat until you've tested all the sticks of ram in your case. I once had issues installing XP and eventually found it was a bad stick of ram.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

Okay, downloaded and installed Ubuntu works fine on my laptop but works for 10 secs at desktop on my pc before crashing, i tried a memory test using Ubuntu's memory scanner heres a pic http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6424/p3080621.jpg
that image shows 69k errors and counting, at this time its at 140k errors and rapidly rising.
ideas
Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Alright. When you installed ubuntu did you format the entire disk or just the free space?

You'll need to cycle through the sticks of ram to see which is the problem. Remove one, reboot the computer and try using your computer. Repeat until your desktop is working again and eventually you'll figure out which stick of RAM is giving you issues.

If you only have 1 stick of ram you'll need to buy another stick.