Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

PC Shuts down 30 seconds after startup

This is a discussion on PC Shuts down 30 seconds after startup within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just upgraded a MicroATX computer with a gigabyte ga-k8vm800m motherboard and AMD Mobile Sempron processor socket 754. I have

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

I just upgraded a MicroATX computer with a gigabyte ga-k8vm800m motherboard and AMD Mobile Sempron processor socket 754. I have a 400 W power supply.

The system boots to a POST screen and I can enter the BIOS. The problem is that 30 seconds after startup, the computer does a soft shutdown. The screen goes blank and 2-3 seconds later the fans shut down.

I don't believe this is a heat issue since the system is open and the BIOS indicates the CPU fan is running at 2200 RPM. One possible problem is that the heat sink does not appear to be making direct contact with the CPU. I have thermal paste on the heat sink, but there is none on the CPU. The Socket 754 bracket prevents me from pushing or tightening the heat sink to make contact.

So my question is: Is this a heat issue that the computer is shutting down to to potential heat? Is there anything I can put in between my heat sink and the CPU to make a better contact? I am using a Socket 754 compatible heat sink and fan.

Although the Sempron is categorized as "Mobile", it fits in the Socket 754. Is this a problem?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

set it up out of the case on a piece of cardboard with
cpu
video
ram
speaker
and see if you get post
check you have the correct amount of standoffs no more no less
that they line up with the holes in the m/board
usually 9

psu
brand
model

did you apply the paste correctly

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

Old 10-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I think the issue here is heat. What are the temps in the BIOS.

The mobile CPU is thinner than it desktop counterpart and the stock heatsink cannot

make contact with the CPU because of the MB mounting bracket.

Wouldn't advise installing anything between the two to get a bond.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

PS is an Ultra D0406. I only have the ATA Hard drive plugged in, no other components.

I have this running on a piece of wood, not in the case. I have 1 stick of RAM, 1 ATA hard drive, CPU, CPU fan/heat sink, PS/2 Keyboard, onboard video, and speaker hooked up. Nothing else, not even the front USB panel connection.

I get the POST and Bios screen fine. It even boots to Windows. But whether in Windows or in BIOS, the computer powers off after 30-45 seconds. Not a hard shutdown as if I flipped the switch off, just a soft shutdown of components then the fans.

I applied the thermal paste to the heat sink, but it is not making contact with the CPU since there is no thermal paste on the CPU. Is there a product that I can use to put in-between to ensure contact is made?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinu1der2 View Post
I think the issue here is heat. What are the temps in the BIOS.

The mobile CPU is thinner than it desktop counterpart and the stock heatsink cannot

make contact with the CPU because of the MB mounting bracket.

Wouldn't advise installing anything between the two to get a bond.
I am using a heat sensor on the case which indicates 20 Celsius. The BIOS indicates 68 Fahrenheit.

I bought the CPU on eBay thinking that all Socket 754s were the same and the description did not indicate Mobile.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

if the heatsink is not making direct contact with the cpu then is most probably is a heat issue.

A cpu can heat up to 100 degrees c in 3 seconds but because you have paste on this will be slowed down. But because the heatsink isn't contacting properly then you will get heat problems.

do a bench test as asked above.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
Old 10-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
if the heatsink is not making direct contact with the cpu then is most probably is a heat issue.

A cpu can heat up to 100 degrees c in 3 seconds but because you have paste on this will be slowed down. But because the heatsink isn't contacting properly then you will get heat problems.

do a bench test as asked above.
Thanks for replying. I am trying to do a bench test, but I am unable to get the heatsink to make contact with the CPU. The heatsink mounting bracket on the socket has risers that prevent it from sitting further down and making contact.

What can I put in between the heatsink and the CPU in order to create the conduction that I need?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

nothing, it will eventually snap into place. Is this a normal heatsink that came with the cpu? They can be a bugger to fit sometimes but theyy do fit.

before you do this though you will have to clean the heatsink and cpu with 90% isopropyl alcohol or arti clean 1 & 2 then reapply the thermal paste, and apply the paste to the cpu not heatsink.

if the heatsink has a thermal pad or paste that was already on it you will have to remove it and reapply paste.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you may need to use a aftermarket h/s and fan that bolts down
Old 10-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

I think I need a thick thermal pad that will ensure contact between the CPU and heat sink. The gap is probably about 1mm. I can put half of a credit card in between just to measure the thickness. As someone noted previous, since this is a Mobile Sempron CPU, it may be thinner.

This is the proper heat sink that locks onto the socket bracket and the heatsink has a handle to flip to tighten the hold. The problem is that the socket bracket has 4 tiny risers that are likely preventing a good connection for this type of CPU, but work for others.

The bigger question, as to my original post, is should I expect my computer to shut down after only 30-60 seconds of being on in a BIOS screen? Does the CPU get that hot that quickly? Again, it is a soft power down, where the system seems to power down then the fans, not like if I were to kill the power entirely.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #11

My System

Yes, that sounds typical. My heatsink came loose once, and it took thirty seconds to a minute and a half to shut down, even in BIOS. I got it to load in Windows once, at which point I could use the desktop for about ten seconds before it shut down.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

like I said above a cpu can 100 degrees c in 3 seconds, I have seen it happend and seen a cpu pop in a cloud of smoke once because there was no heatsink and thermal compound on and this was 5 seconds after being switched on.

Some heatsinks can take quite a bit of force to snap in correctly especially the stock heatsinks.

Closed Thread