Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

PC not detecting monitor

This is a discussion on PC not detecting monitor within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, so I just finished building my new PC and I went to plug it into the monitor, no signal

Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok, so I just finished building my new PC and I went to plug it into the monitor, no signal was detected. I tried 3 different monitors in every slot available. This includes 1 VGA (motherboard) 3 DVI (two GPU and one MOBO) and 2 HDMI (Graphics card). When I turn it on, everything powers up just fine. WHat could be the problem?

Specs:
ASRock Z68
I5 2500k
XFX 6870
CORSAIR TX850M 850w PSU
1TB hard drive
60GB SSD
8GB RAM

Old 04-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Also, I never heard a post beep

Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Please help me guys!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staat View Post
Also, I never heard a post beep
Remove all the RAM, boot the PC and listen for any beeps from the Mobo speaker.

Do you have the required 2x6 power connectors connected to the GPU?
If you are certain all the power connections are properly connected and all cards are firmly seated I would suggest a bench test.

Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote