Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

PC keeps restarting itself over and over

This is a discussion on PC keeps restarting itself over and over within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, The first part I type is everything that happend before my problem, the 2nd part I type is my

Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey,

The first part I type is everything that happend before my problem, the 2nd part I type is my problem now.

PART1:

I was just using my PC like usual, and then I see the message that my Avast! antivirus registration has run out. So I went and put my newly bought Kaspersky Internet Security DVD into my DVD drive. While installing, it tells me that Avast! and NOD32 antivirus are incompatible and need to be removed, and that by clicking "Proceed" Kaspersky will automatically remove these programs, so I click proceed. I immediately after get the message that I need to restart my PC for the changed to take effect, so click "Restart now" (It didnt even install Kaspersky yet, but w/e).

Then in the screen before you get to the Desktop, I get again the same message: Incompatible programs, click "Proceed" to remove Avast and Nod32, and that I need to restart my PC. So I click again.

Pc restarts, AGAIN I get the same message. This time, I click that I dont wanna restart my PC. So I enter my desktop and want to remove these 2 programs myself, but before I get to that point, the map I opened doesnt respond anymore. I wait and wait, nothing happens. Then I try CTRL ALT DELETE, but my screen freezes, theres nothing I can do anymore.
So I hit the reset button on my PC, and now we have gotten to the my main problem:

PART2:
Since then my PC keeps restarting itself. It is trying to start up, I hear the ventilators running loudly (like always when a pc is starting), I hear my pc thinking, loading some programs on the screen.... Then I hear a long beep coming out of my PC (Not sure where, Graph card? motherboard?), ventilators stop, screen goes black, computers is off (it seems). Then it starts itself again after about 5 seconds, same things happen, again the long beep, PC shuts itself down again, restarts itself after 5 seconds etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally, the PC starts itself up to a certain point where I can choose 2 options:

-Start Windows normally
-Start with System recovery (Then I get this Window 95 style'd menu where it says that Windows cant start and that it is trying to return everything on my PC to how it was before I had this problem)

Whatever I choose, before I get to my desktop the PC restarts itself again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally aswell, I get to a screen where I can hit F1 to go to BIOS and F2 to load previous settings. When I Hit F1, I get a screen with a list of SATA 1 - 6.
For SATA 1-4, it says: Not detected
SATA 5 - 6 : 5 is a DVD drive, 6 I dont know.

I have a C drive and D drive, both with about 700 GB storage space.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot imagine the problem is overheating, because I opened all windows in my room, let the PC off for 5 minutes, removed the power cable and toggled the black button under the power socket to 0
. I felt inside my computer, and everything was cold. Then i reconnected everything, tried again, and it just kept restarting itself again. WHEN it restarts seems to be random. sometimes after 10 seconds, sometimes after a minute, or when I ALMOST get to the desktop it restarts.

Thanks for reading and I hope theres a solution.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Moved you over to the H/W section

D/L and run Hardware Monitor do something intense like a virus scan or gaming for a bit, Alt+Tab back to HWM expand all the trees and use the Win7 snipping tool to grab a screen shot of the HWM window, post the screen shot using the paperclip button in the advanced message box(Go Advanced button).

Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

PC Specs?
Pre- Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hey my previous post i wrote from a laptop because my pc kept restarting. I now did a systemrecovery that restored my PC stats to how it was on 18-9-2012 7am in the morning. I can actually get onto my desktop now, but I still had 2 times that it restarted while i was talking on skype just now 10 mins ago so I couldnt solve my problem fully yet.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.26GHz 3.26GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
RAM: 4.0 GB (3.25GB available)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts EA-500D
Mobo: ASUS P5K premium
Old 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hardware monitor pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Naamloos.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	116294  
Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Somethings wrong with the HWM readings, all that appears is the hard drive temp, no voltages, CPU or Motherboard temp.

Enter the Bios and look for a Hardware Health, Hardware monitor or similar page and get the system and CPU temps as well as the voltage readings for the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

CPU 55 Ceclius
MB 31 Celcius

CPU 1.208 V

3.3V [3.264]
5V [4.920]
12V [11.928]
Old 09-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

Im currently in safe mode for 30 minutes without problems already.
When I was in normal mode, pc restarted again after I started Guild Wars 2.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Was the HWM shot from safe mode?

55c is warm for E8500 in the bios if the stock CPU cooler check that all 4 legs are still tight to the motherboard.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
Registered Member

That was normal mode actually, but now i tried it again after rebooting and it showed me this. GuildWars2 is running at this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWMonitor.png
Views:	21
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	116307  
Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

That's better, the cpu is overheating for sure, clean the heat sink using a can of compressed air and make sure it's tight to the CPU.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
Registered Member

Ah ok I will do that :)

Is it possible anything got permanently damaged from overheating or from restarting so much?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #13
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Possible but not likely, the CPU will shut itself off to prevent damage.