Not open for further replies.

No display on monitor, computer runs but no beeps

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ajp173 
#1 ·
Hi,

My machine is a Medion MD8855:

AMD Phenom™ II X4 820 Quad-Core
ATI Radeon™ HD 5670 DirectX® 11 graphics
D-Sub VGA, DVI-I and HDMI connection (HDCP Support)
8 GB (4096 MB) DDR3 SDRAM Crucial brand

The problem I am having is the machine turns on but I get no display.
This started happening suddenly a few weeks ago. The machine just went blank on screen, I turned off and reset and since then I have only been able to get it running rarely. Last week I havent been able to get it to work at all.

I turn the machine on, the lights come on, harddrive seems to spin, fans spin. No beeps (normally get one).

I tried taking out the graphics card and turned it on, received 2 very short beeps then 8 slightly longer ones, computer then seemed to start up properly however I couldnt check as I have no display connection except in the graphics card.

The beep code is said to show a bad graphics card or missing card. Makes sense as its taken out, but it doesnt beep at all when its in. From looking around it seems like the graphics card is most likely but I get different errors when its in and out.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi ajp173,

Your computer issue could definitely be hardware related. Having extra spare parts such as spare video card, monitor, ram, etc.etc. is essential for this type of troubleshooting. I am assuming at this point you have no spare parts to troubleshoot on your computer correct?

Do this, open up your computer case and if you have multiple sticks of ram, take out all ram sticks except one. Turn on your computer and see if the computer is at least able to post. If not, try to get your hands on a spare video card that's compatible with your computer. Borrow a friend's spare video card if you need to. Try to get your hands on a spare monitor as well. Hope everything works out well for you.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah I borrowed a graphics card today, just need to mod it slightly as it is too small and the metal catch on the card doesnt fit into my machine (the part that sticks out the back where the ports are)

Look forward to trying this tomorrow and seeing if this sheds any light on the problem!

#5 ·
Hi,

So I got the graphics card and switched it out. It works so my card must have been broken.

However I am now experiencing many more problems.

Mainly when I start the machine, most of the programs in the start up crash, including adobe updater, itunes helper, tortoise hg tray icon (so varying types of software).

This was not happening when I did manage to get it to work with my old graphics card a couple of times, so it must have happened due to the new card or when I was reseating the parts.

Could registry get damaged or anything in this way?

Another thing that crashes is the driver installation for the new card. Currently i only get standard vga adapter, so i assumed it was a lack of driver. I tried to install catalyst control centre and it just crashes half way through.

Any ideas would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.