Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

New System Looking for Advice

This is a discussion on New System Looking for Advice within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey all, what's up? I just got my system assembled on a box before putting in case. I have a

Old 03-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Hey all, what's up?

I just got my system assembled on a box before putting in case. I have a Cooler Master 212 Evo on an i7 2600k. Having a little clearence issue with the fan. I have 16GB Gskill ram installed. Don't have anything else besides the Motherboard, ram, video card, cpu, and power supply hooked up.
system seemed to boot up just fine and recognized the ram and cpu and all with no real issues. I like this new Uefi bios setup. It sees the ram as DDr3 (1600) again no problems. Was a little concerned when I saw the fan speed in red because it was just under 600 rpm's and gradually came up to about 627.

CPU Temp while setting there in Bios is about 29-30c. Funny though, when you go into Advanced settings in UEFI it drops immediately to 27c. Go figure.

Anyhow, had to raise the fan up a bit to make clearence for the ram. If I drop it down it will setting against the ram. Any issues with switching sides and the brackets around to make it pull instead of push? Here are some pics of it.

Thanks
Patrick

Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Raising the CPU cooler unit is not an option. The CPU fan should blow to the rear of the case.
If the fan is just touching the RAM, it won't be a problem as long as the cooler is properly fastened down where it makes proper contact with the CPU.
It would probably be possible to trim some of the plastic from the bottom of the fan where it hits the RAM.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Tyree, the heatsink is all the way down on the cpu, that is definite. The fan is a little bit higher on the heatsink right now. I would never lift the heatsink off the cpu. What I was curious about is if switching the fan around so it is pulling from the othr side of the heatsink. Still going toward the rear of the case but pulling instead of pushing.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 03-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
Moderator hardware team

My System

It should work just as well, however, will it clear the voltage regulator heatsinks?
Old 03-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

I was able to pull the ram and shave the bottom of the fan a bit to make the clearance I needed. Now the fan is centered on the heat sink.

Is there any way to push this processor a little the heat it up to make sure the heat sink is doing what it needs to do without the OS installed?

Thanks
Patrick
Old 03-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Moderator hardware team

My System

Run Prime95 stress test for ½hour or more while monitoring your temp with an application such as HWMonitor or CoreTemp

Free Software - GIMPS
Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

This would have be after I installed the os then?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Moderator hardware team

My System

Yes. Install your OS and service packs, and all the device drivers.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

It's easy to check the CPU temps before the OS is installed.
Any CPU that is not mounted properly will get hot very quickly.
Boot to the Bios and let it idle for 10 min. or so and watch the temps. If it's stable at idle it will most likely be stable under stress.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Thanks Tyree & gcavan.

Tyree, I've been the the bios and I'm getting a peak temp of 29-30c. It's funny though, when I switch the UEFI bios over to advanced mode the temp on the CPU drops about 2 degree's every time. Switch back to Easy mode it goes back up. When I first started it up I got a little concerned because the fan speed was about 540 rpm's and then gradually went up to 630. The fan speed was in red, but hte CPU wasn't over heating or anything. I had to change the low threshold to 500rpm's, so it wouldn't be in the red. Since this is a rather large fan it would run at a lower speed.

Patrick
Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

30C is very acceptable. After you have the OS and drivers installed you can run some tests if you wish.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Just got everything up and running. Only software installed is Kaspersky Internet Security. I've got all drivers installed and system updates installed and running. This SSD drive is so much faster then I thought it would be. I do have to get a mount for the SSD since it didn't come with one.

Now, what I'm curious about. I've installed all drivers including Intel's Rapid Storage Tech driver. Is this going to be a problem with slowing down or anything since I'm not using Raid? Also installed storage manager. Isn't SATA hot swapable? I've seen nothing that says it is. I have a dock in the case and was just wondering.

I really like this board (P8P67 Deluxe). It's nicely laid out and has some really nice features. I know some think I've wasted money since I don't really overclock, but I like a good board. I have other Asus boards and they are all still running great and give me no real trouble. I still have my P4 down in my basement and it runs quite well. When you get good parts things tend to last for a bit.

Thanks
Patrick