Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

New mobo, cpu & my C drive?

This is a discussion on New mobo, cpu & my C drive? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My motherboard died about 6 days ago. I have ordered a new Asus S1155 ATX P8Z68-V LE Motherboard & Intel

Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

My motherboard died about 6 days ago. I have ordered a new Asus S1155 ATX P8Z68-V LE Motherboard & Intel S1155 Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz Quad Core CPU.I want to just install the new motherboard & cpu and hook up my un-formatted C Drive

I wasn't going to format my C drive and reinstall windows xp pro. I still have some stuff on there to backup and it's a huge hassle to reinstall everything. With my last motherboard install i got Win Xp to work and it was fine till the motherboard died a few days ago.

I contacted a Pc repair guy and he said.....

'Windows does not like it when you change more then 3-4 hardware devices at once and unfortunatly replacing the motherboard and CPU changes about 5-6 hardware devices. This has to do with north bridges, south bridges pci bridges that are all classed as seperate devices. But saying this i will try my best to do your upgrades without having to re-install i can back up all your data before we start.'

So can I just hook up my new Asus motherboard, i7 2600k cpu and the rest of my hardware and my old c drive....and boot up my pc like normal?

Uly

Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Moderator hardware team

My System

Possibly, but I doubt it. At the very least you will most likely need to do a repair install.

I've seen it go both ways with Windows 2K and XP; sometimes it will boot off the old install with no problems, other times not so well. I prefer to just backup any critical files using another system, then do a fresh install.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

As above ^
You can connect the drive to a different PC and extract any data you want to save but doing a fresh install of the OS and any apps is the best option to avoid problems.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks guys for your posts :)

I don't have access to any other desktop Pc's to do a backup. Only this very slow laptop.

I have spent most of my savings on getting the New motherboard & Cpu. I really can't afford this...but would it be better to go thru the pain now of buying a sata 3 harddrive & buying windows 7 then reinstalling everything?

How much life does win xp pro sp3 have left before microsoft stops supporting it?

Uly
Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) ends April 8, 2014.
You could save money going with an i5 CPU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks Tyree....thats good to know :)

I already ordered an Asus z68 motherboard & i7 2600k a few days a ago. I wasn't expecting to have to buy a new hard drive as well :(

Would it be better to buy windows 7 now and do the Motherboard, cpu, hard drive and Windows 7 upgrade all a once.

or Stick with win xp for next few years & buy a new harddrive...save some money (which is good for me). It leaves me not being able to upgrade my ram in the future. I already have 4 gb (3.2 recognised) installed now.

I mainly use my Pc for Digital art, Drawing, Painting, photo editing (Gimp, My paint, Paintshop pro, 3d software ect) & Flight simulator X. Also the usual surfing the net ect.

cheers

Uly
Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

That decision would be yours.
If it were me and I had the funds I would go with 7 now to avoid reinstalling everything again later.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thats the problem i don't really have the funds now.

Could i buy Win 7 in say a year or so and have it as a dual boot with win xp?

I would just need to use a partition program to put it on the Harddrive with win xp?

Uly
Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

Yes you could and 7 will make the partition for you.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Registered Member

Ok cool I didn't know Win 7 could make partititions too?

So just to get this straight in my mind.....

I buy my 1Tb Sata 3 drive. Install it with my new Asus z68 Motherboard & i7 2600k cpu. Put a fresh install of Win Xp pro sp3 on the new harddrive. Then in say 12 months buy Windows 7 home premium 64bit. Have Win 7 on installation make a new partition for itself and set it for dual boot for Win xp and win 7.

Is that correct?

Uly
Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

That should work.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

Ok then that's what i'll do :)

Thanks Tyree & Gcavan for all your help

Very much appreciated

Cheers

Uly
Old 03-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

You're welcome and please post back with any results.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #14
Registered Member

Ok I recieved my Motherboard & Cpu today.

I have installed the all the hardware as per the instructions in the motherboard manual, Videos & tutorials that I have seen and read on the net.

I haven't recieved my new harddrive yet. I wanted to see If I could boot into the bios so i hooked up my old c drive and d drive.

When i do that and hit the power button the power... It comes on and I get a beep for about half a second.Then it shuts down.

I should be able to boot into my bios should I?

or have I done something else wrong? or is the PSU not working properly?

Uly
Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

One short beep usually indicates all is well. Are you testing on the bench or are the components installed in the case?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
Registered Member

I have installed all the components in my case.

I will recieve my new Sata 3 harddrive in a few hours. I will hook that up & double check everything.

I'm starting to worry that the repair guy got it wrong that my old motherboard died and it is something wrong with my PSU instead.

Uly
Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
Team Manager - Hardware

Testing on the bench helps to avoid problems and makes it easier to identify problems.
Did you use one standoff, no more - no less, for each Mobo mounting hole?
Brand & Model of the PSU?
Brand & Model of the GPU?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #18
Registered Member

Ok I'm all out of Ideas. I have my new Hard drive. It's the only one installed.

I even tried different ram. I have tripple checked all my connections. The only thing that isn't connected is a cable that says 1394?

The motherboard light is on and green.

When i hit the power button my fans and case lights turn on for about 1/2 a second then it turns off again. If I hit the on/power button again.....nothing. If I turn my power off at the wall and hit the power button it comes on for 1/2 a second then turns off again.

It doesn't seem to be getting enough power to it???

It's like a car that wont crank over.

Motherboard is Asus P8z68-v LE

The PSU is an ANTEC 1000 watt Truepower Quattro (white Racing stripes)

The Graphics card is Nvidia Albatron 8800GT Pcie card

I tried the dvi in the onboard dvi socket and the same thing happens.

Quote:
Did you use one standoff, no more - no less, for each Mobo mounting hole?
I don't know what that means? sorry

Uly
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
Team Manager - Hardware

Standoffs are the small brass pins that are installed in the case to support the Mobo and prevent Mobo from shorting to the metal case. One standoff, no more-no less, needs to be used for every mounting hole in the Mobo.

Bench Test
Remove EVERYTHING from the case
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.
Is it safe to do this?

I am in any danger of being Electrocuted?

Uly