Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Need new CPU Inspiron 1100

This is a discussion on Need new CPU Inspiron 1100 within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 with a Celeron 2.3g CPU. Seems like once a year it starts to overheat,

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 with a Celeron 2.3g CPU. Seems like once a year it starts to overheat, and I have to take out the CPU and heat sink for a good cleaning. I have done this twice with no problems. But the 3rd time is a charm. The CPU slipped out of my hands and landed pins down on the floor. My young Daughter, in a attempt to help Dad, stepped on it and the pins are bent beyond repair. I know I need a new CPU, but I was hoping to upgrade it to something maybe faster, but that runs cooler. Maybe in the P4 family. Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks

Old 11-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to 95five-0 Send a message via Yahoo to 95five-0
The problem with upgrading the processor on a factory computer is you do not know if your mainboard can support anything else. Also you run the risk of deactivting your windows by changing to many parts and since it is a Dell it has an OEM install which can only work with that machine. I would suggest you stick with the same processor and get some Artic Silver Thermal compound.

<<PC Pitstop>><< AVG Free>><<Spybot>><<Everest 2.0>><<Trend Micro House Call>><<HijackThis How-to>>
Old 11-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via MSN to carsey
Can we have some system specs, although I am also In favour of getting the same CPU as 95five-o stated.. remember the thermal compound is critical.

To get some speed out of the system you could try a RAM upgrade. But we cannot take this further at the minute as we dont know what components are fitted into the system.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you for the replys. I learned in the first year I owned the laptop about the overheating problems. I use Artic Compound and have 1 gig. of memory. It makes a huge difference. But, as long as the CPU needs to be replaced, I thought about going faster and cooler, but this is all new to me. The only info. I can give you at this time is the CPU #SL6WC. I can check for more info. later if you tell me what you need. Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

If I'm not mistaken you could put in a P4 SL6YH (Intel Mobile Pentium 4-M) over the celeron....but there is not much else (power and heat output would probably be too much above that)...laptops are a bit more difficult to upgrade generally. Trick is to find the cpu for one....a memory upgrade to 512mb, which I think is the max for your laptop would also do much to help things out. Check the Dell support forum, I'm sure someone on there has probably done exactly what you propose.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt
If you have overheating issues, I would suggest getting a cooling pad like this one.
BYTECC Notebook Cooling Pad ( Aluminum ) Powered by USB port Model NC-500 (USB) - Retail at Newegg.com