Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

My Laptop's CPU is spiking in usage and hitting 100% during games/videos

This is a discussion on My Laptop's CPU is spiking in usage and hitting 100% during games/videos within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Note: I'm cross-posting this from the Windows 7 support forum because I am not sure which one it belongs in.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Note: I'm cross-posting this from the Windows 7 support forum because I am not sure which one it belongs in.

Ok, so let me explain my problem. Whenever I try to watch an HD video, be it streaming online or on my hard drive the video lags/stutters (obviously due to CPU use). In the task manager I notice my vlc player spiking in its CPU number (if I am playing a video off the hard drive, if it's online than Firefox is the process to spike) and the overall usage number under the performance tab quickly jumps up to 90-100% as well. This does not happen with SD videos, including streaming off of Youtube so I do not think it is something like a flash issue.

This problem also seems to be affecting my ability to play video games as the same problem occurs whenever I start a game up.

This laptop is a few years old now but I was able to flawlessly run HD video and new games like Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City in the past. The CPU usage did not spike and my computer did not "lag" (drop frames). I have been dealing with this problem for a few months now but I am not really sure what caused it. I don't really want to go out and just buy a new computer unless I absolutely have to, especially since this one was only purchased in 2010. I know that is already a while but considering it used to be capable of these things I am hopeful that there is a way to get it back to how it was.

So here are my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 (64-Bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8700 2.53 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 260M (Driver Version 306.02)

I am using Avast! Free Anti-Virus. I have also ran CCleaner, Malwarebytes, defragged my drive, and used the Windows chkdsk utility in an attempt to fix the problem, to no avail. I've also used a can of compressed air to clean the vents.

Any help you may be able to lend me is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Disable the AV software and see if it helps.
Have you checked the CPU temps?
Has the laptop been cleaned with compressed air recently?
Try using the laptop elevated to allow more fresh air to the underside.
A few yrs. old for a laptop may mean it's getting to the end of it's usefulness. Gaming, that laptops are not designed for, adds stress/heat to an already overheated environment and lends to shorter component life.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Disable the AV software and see if it helps.
Have you checked the CPU temps?
Has the laptop been cleaned with compressed air recently?
Try using the laptop elevated to allow more fresh air to the underside.
A few yrs. old for a laptop may mean it's getting to the end of it's usefulness. Gaming, that laptops are not designed for, adds stress/heat to an already overheated environment and lends to shorter component life.
I am not sure how to check the CPU temperature but I'd be willing to give it a shot. Last time I used compressed air on it was about a week ago, this problem has persisted for at least 4 months and it did not improve after using the air. The laptop is elevated though, yes.

I know gaming on laptops is not ideal but Asus did market this as a "gaming laptop", it even says it on the laptop shell.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

What manufacture's advertise and what is reality often differs.
Laptops are designed for convenience. You have components crammed into a small space with no means of effectively dissipating heat. It may well perform/game fine for a time but that added stress/heat will always take it's toll. If you want to game, you need a PC.
You can check your temps with HW Monitor: CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote