Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

My computer is taking a very long time to boot/load windows

This is a discussion on My computer is taking a very long time to boot/load windows within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My PC (Windows Vista) was working perfectly fine until this morning. When i start it, the boot screen (with the

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

My PC (Windows Vista) was working perfectly fine until this morning. When i start it, the boot screen (with the option to press Delete to enter setup and F12 to open boot menu, etc) appears for 5 minutes (normally remains on screen for 30 seconds or less) and the HD light flashes for about 30 seconds, then shuts off. When it finally starts to load windows, the screen goes black for 10-15 more minutes, then I finally get the normal windows loading screen and it runs normally.

It usually takes about 3 minutes for the entire start-up process.

I've run sever virus scans, I've run CCleaner and I've trued starting it in safe mode. It took about 10 minutes in total to start in safe mode which is still slower than usual.

I ran out of software ideas so i stripped it all down and inspected each part visually. Found nothing wrong. When i reassembled it, it was working find for 3 or 4 start-ups and then went back to the 20 minute ordeal.

I have a feeling its a hardware problem (either mobo or HD) but I'm no expert so any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a list of my hardware:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Dual core 4000+ 2.1 GHz
Motherboard: Acer F690GVM
Ram: 2Gb DDR2 Single channel
Hard Drive: Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3Gb/s 320Gb
Graphics Card: Diamond ATI Radeon 4670
PSU: Apevia 680W Iceberg

I'm fairly new to this so please try to explain in detail if possible. Thank you for your help

Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Dblanchard1278 Send a message via Yahoo to Dblanchard1278

Long boot up times are mostly caused by hardware like the hard drive going out or a network card malfunctioning. The best way to find out which one you have to remove each non essentail componet from the pc and see if it improves. Start with the hard drive by dissconnecting the sata cable and boot the pc, then try the same it the cd/dvd drive. Remove all none estial componet that is needed for booting like network cards, usb cards. If the pc had intergrated video than remove the video card and try the onboard video card. I would suggest getting a quality psu for your system the apiva 680 isn't a good psu and it might be the reason for those slow boot times.

If that psu was pushed it will over volt one of the componets in the pc like the hard drive or motherboard.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Senior Tech hardware team

My System

I had the same problem that was eventually isolated to my 2nd non-bootable hdd. Found out that while installing the 2nd hdd (IDE HDD) I inadvertently bent the one pin right down to the base and this caused the extremely slow Windows load time even worse than yours. So like Dblanchard1278 says it could be a component giving up. I managed to straighten the pin to get the HDD working again and backup all the data off the drive, Thank goodness for that.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

I found the problem... a corrupt SD card. It started fine when I look the card out, but when i put it in it slowed down again. I tore the entire computer apart 3 times and in the end it was the stupid SD card... lol. Thanks for the help and advise! =)