Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Mobo Shot?!?

This is a discussion on Mobo Shot?!? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A friend brought there computer to me with severe performance issues and asked if i could look at it. Computer

Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

A friend brought there computer to me with severe performance issues and asked if i could look at it. Computer is an HP p6520f, AMD Athlon II 635 Quad-CoreProcessor; 6GB DDR3 System Memory (3 DIMM); 1TB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA); Genuine Windows 7 Premium 64-bit. Day before they gave it to me they said it had stopped turning on. I found that the computer starts up but with no signal to monitor it seems. I pulled a working Pci-e video card from my computer and installed it but with similar results. I am unsure how to trouble shoot past this point.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Is this PC under warranty? If so use it.

Try the steps below:

-Remove the power from the system and open the case
-Remove the graphics card from the PC (if equipped with dedicated graphics card)
-Clear the CMOS settings (removing the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes will suffice)
-Attempt to boot the PC using the integrated graphics

If unsuccessful continue:

-Remove all RAM and test with one stick at a time
-Remove any PCI card installed (modem,nic,sound,etc)
-Discconnect drives (storage and optical)
-Inspect motherboard for damaged capacitors)
-Test with another PSU

Old 06-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for your help. I was able to get it to boot but only with the memory in the 3 and 4 banks and not in the 1 and 2. But i have now also found that a Smart error when it tried to boot. Error code Biohd8
Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Did you test each RAM individually in all slots?

Reseat the connections to the hard drive and motherboard.

Run the manufacturer diagnostics on the hard drive

Hard Drive Utilities
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

If the PC will not boot with one stick of RAM in slot 1 or 2 (individually) the Mobo is at fault.
With no RAM installed, you should get a repeated single beep from the Mobo speaker if the Mobo is OK.
I would bench test.
Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread