Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machine keeps shutting off...

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Panther063 
#1 ·
I have a custom-built gaming rig that had functioned without any major hardware issues for nearly two years, up until a few weeks ago. I was watching a Youtube video when it suddenly shut off. I attempted to restart the machine and it shut off about two seconds later. A second restart attempt led to it shutting off in less than one second. I first opened it up and gave it a routine cleaning thinking it might be overheating despite my closed-loop liquid cooling system and the issue persisted. Thought it might be my UPS, so I plugged it in elsewhere and it still happened. Just to be sure, I plugged other things into my UPS and its output is consistent. I removed each stick of RAM and tried each one in different modules... didn't work. I acquired an older GPU and switched mine out... same problem. So, I figured it must be the PSU and bought a new one... wasted money. Then, I completely took the thing apart and closely examined the MB for blown capacitors... found nothing. Reset the BIOS... still shutting off. So, either both sticks of RAM went out simultaneously, both GPUs are bad, both power supplies had the same defect, there's a bad capacitor that I didn't see or the BIOS is corrupted beyond anything a reset can do. Anybody have any bright ideas that might help me troubleshoot this issue beyond what I've already attempted that might save me some time and money? I really don't want to spend $100 at Micro Center just to have to spend more to replace the part they tell me is bad. I'm half tempted to bust out the multimeter and check every last little thing, but I've never done that before and wouldn't even know how to start without significant research. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-NNG

See less See more
#2 ·
Really sounds like psu to me. One thing that would be enormously helpful with a hardware question which this obviously is, is to tell us your hardware including and especially both psus. The other thing it could easily be if Intel cpu is one of the 4 pins through the motherboard slipped out but rather than a complete guess, telling us the hardware saves all that.

#4 ·
Oh yeah... duh... I was a bit tired at the time of the initial posting.

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz
Cooling: Thermaltake WATER2.0 Pro Closed-Loop
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
GPU: VisionTek 900506 Radeon HD 7870
SSD: G.SKILL Phoenix III FM-25S3-120GBP3 2.5" 120GB SATA III
HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
PSU #1: Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W
PSU #2: RAIDMAX Vampire RX-1000GH Continuous 1000 watts

I got a 1000W PSU the second time around to accommodate for what I plan to add to my current build.

Thanks again,

-NNG

#5 ·
Hi there,

It's great that you have a 1000-watts power supply but unfortunately, the brand RAIDMAX isn't that good...as Raidmax uses cheap quality parts on their power supply. Try getting your hands onto a spare, good power supply and test it on your computer. For good brands, I recommend SEASONIC, XFX, and ANTEC-HCG power supplies. All three brands are pretty good.

Hope everything works out well for you and feel free to ask more questions, thank you.

#6 ·
Well, I will see if one of my friends will let me install my PSU(s) in their tower to see if the RAIDMAX was DOA. Luckily, the Thermaltake came with a 5-year factory warranty. If both are, in fact, dead, then I'll just return the RAIDMAX and get the Thermaltake repaired/replaced.

Thanks for the feedback... I really wasn't looking forward to finding someone to let me switch out each and every component of my build in their machine for troubleshooting purposes. Convincing them to let me switch out just the PSU should be much easier.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
-NNG

#9 ·
Well, went to my brother's and installed his PSU in my tower... no luck. Came home, uninstalled my liquid cooling system and installed the stock CPU fan. It's been on for a couple of hours now constantly updating my games and it has yet to shut off. CPU temp has been steadily increasing though, but has yet to get too high. Just a bit worried about it since it is a little higher than it was with the liquid cooling system. Maybe I'll invest in another one. Any recommendations on brands? This Thermaltake didn't even last 2 years.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. Guess I just assumed the the cooling system was functioning properly. Both fans were running just fine, but I never thought to check the pump even though have no idea how to do so.

-NNG

#11 ·
Thanks for the tip... it may be useful sooner than I thought. Ran one of my newer, more demanding games on higher settings and it shut off... hasn't turned back on for more than a couple seconds yet. We'll see when I can afford to get a new cooling system... money has been a bit tight and I already spent what little excess funds I did have on a PSU I didn't even need.

Thanks again,
-NNG

#12 · (Edited)
Maybe the timing was poor but the money is well spent over what RaidMax unit will do to your system in the long run. A poor quality Psu will kill good components by robbing them of pure clean power over time.

When you installed the stock Hsf, did you clean off the cpu and hsf with isopropyl alcohol and place a fresh new layer of grease on the cpu? If you had never used the stock hsf or had used it either way what was on it was no doubt old and useless.

#13 ·
Good to know about the RaidMax... guess I'll just keep it around in case my other PSU goes out for a temp power supply until I get another. As for applying grease, the stock CPU fan had the grease already applied, as did my liquid cooling system, but no, I did not think to clean off the old grease. Definitely good to know. So I take it that I want to replace the grease from time to time? Is there a good brand of grease to buy? Neither my CPU or my cooling system came with a tube/bottle and Newegg has so many different brands ranging from $0.99 to $1400. I doubt I need the $1400 stuff as I don't overclock, but with so many options and very little knowledge on the subject, I have no idea what to get.

Thanks again,
-NNG

#14 ·
Arctic Silver 5 is generally considered the best. See here is the situation. If the cpu had dried its coat out, and it undoubtedly did, then the standard hsf also probably dried out depending on how long it sat before you used it as those covers aren't
even air tight so it is possible the unit is shutting down now for that reason alone.
That's why I asked.

#15 ·
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured from your last reply. Neither the left over grease from the liquid cooling system, nor the grease on the HSF were completely dried out, but they weren't exactly of a "greasy" consistency. They were both more like a semi-wet putty or clay-like substance. So yeah, I'll go ahead and order some Arctic Silver. I was actually looking at some of that on Newegg a bit ago as it seems to have great reviews and a completely decent price.

Thanks again... hopefully this will get me by until I can afford a new cooling system. I'm really starting to miss my video games and have been really wanting to start making a new one too. I'll let you know how the thermal grease affects the situation.

-NNG

#17 ·
So... still waiting for Newegg to get my Arctic Silver to me and thought I'd try turning on my machine to see just how fast it was over-heating after my stress test the other day. The thing wouldn't even stay on for more than three seconds. This is quite different from the initial issue where it would boot up most of the way before shutting off after lying dormant for a day or more. And significantly more severe than running for a few hours before shutting off after installing the stock HSF. Is it possible that my stress test burnt out my CPU? Guess I'll know for certain after I get my thermal grease and/or new liquid cooling system. Just thought I'd give an update and see if anyone had any input in regards to this new "symptom".

Thanks in advance, again,
-NNG

#18 ·
If the pump is not working at all, it is the same as running without a cooler on the processor, it will overheat very quickly.
You should be able to feel if the pump is running by touching it with a finger while turning it on and off, check all wiring is connected to the fan connectors too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.