Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

laptop is overheating. I have installed a new fan and new thermal paste

7K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  chuq00 
#1 ·
My Acer Aspire 5742 laptop is overheating.

I have installed a new fan and correctly replaced the thermal paste .. still overheating !! ..

Quickly, (less than 3 minutes), reaches 90C then shuts down.

Strange thing is that the laptop doesn't feel hot ?

#3 ·
sort of makes a "ping" and then switches off, like the power had been disconnected, (I am running it without a battery).

Thermal paste correctly applied and heatsink correctly tightened.

New fan is spinning but slowly, never seems to run with any aggression.

Thanks

#13 ·
Have you cleaned the airways to ensure that there is no dust or stuff stopping the fan from blowing air through ... also check that there is no fluff or hair that might be clogging the fan and preventing movement

you might want to pull the heatsink again and check to see just how well the surfaces were mating .. can usually be seen by the way the surfaces and paste pull apart .. if the surfaces aren't mating properly then it will be noticeable from the lack of "tearing" in the paste.

#22 ·
:hide:

It's been a long time since i used the phrase .. thought it was jerry built or jury rigged .. however it seems we are both right :lol:

Jury rigging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jury rigging refers to makeshift repairs or temporary contrivances, made with only the tools and materials that happen to be on hand, originally a nautical term. On sailing ships, a jury rig is a replacement mast and yards (which hold the ship's rigging) improvised in case of damage or loss of the original mast.[1]
Jerry-rigged | Definition of jerry-rigged by Merriam-Webster

Dictionary
jerry–rigged
adjective jer·ry–rigged \ˈjer-ē-ˌrigd\

: made in a quick or careless way : not built or designed well
Full Definition of JERRY-RIGGED
: organized or constructed in a crude or improvised manner <a jerry–rigged plan>
See jerry–rigged defined for English-language learners
See jerry-rigged defined for kids
Origin of JERRY-RIGGED
probably blend of jerry-built and jury-rigged
First Known Use: 1959

#24 ·
so it seems that the problem IS related to the CPU overheating .. this could be because some capacitors are going bad in the supply rail to the CPU causing the voltage to increase or the CPU itself. The CPU is probably the easiest to swap out and check. Know anyone with a similar laptop or a laptop with a similar CPU ?

#27 ·
My old H6730b runs so hot I can no longer use it on my lap or even set it flat on my desk. The main (only?) fan vent is on the bottom. Amazingly every time I start a new solitaire game there is apparently a WIFI blast causing the fan to start up and run for a several minutes. No power shutdowns have occurred. This forum thread has been very helpful in investigating this problem. No solution thus far. I keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

#29 ·
Most laptops do not have a "graphics card" that can be removed / replaced easily. Most are soldered to the board and need to be taken to a repair centre where they have extremely expensive equipment capable of removing the graphics chip, cleaning up the board and then soldering a new chip in the place of the old one. You can't access the solder joints using a conventional solder iron and in most cases it just isn't worth the expense of replacement against the price of a new board or laptop.

#31 · (Edited)
Nvidia chips are notorious for it.

I managed to sort a Dell D630 last weekend by sanding down a copper 2 pence coin and inserting it under the heatsink clamp - temperature has now gone from 90 degrees to a cool 45 degrees and no more thermal shutdown. I had first tried cleaning out the fan and dust , new arctic silver paste and it didnt make much difference. I can only surmise that the copper penny has closed a gap between the chip and heatsink and /or bga solder balls and motherboard as well as the greater area of copper heatsink.

All part of the overheating nvidia chips its notorious and usually ends up with a blank display and the chip separating from the board and an expensive reball job.

If you know electronics and have a heat gun you can either reflow or reball the chip but its not easy. I have reflowed and reballed numerous Dell D600 Series laptops and HP Series Laptops - and every single one was Nvidia GFX chip failure.

I use speedfan for temp monitoring its my favourite for diagnosing heat issues but give the copper shim a go if you need a quick and cheap fix.

#33 ·
Since the fan does not speed up, I would suspect motherboard. I have seen CPU fans running top speed when there is poor heat transfer to heat sink due to dry paste or a bad heat sink. If you feel comfortable with soldering, you could try to connect fan power directly to 5 or 12v.

#38 ·
I just want to clarify something, you should not use a pea sized amount of thermal paste, as peas are actually quite large, it should only be about the size of a grain of rice. Also, something to consider is the type of thermal paste, different ones have different applications, which vary for different CPU's. Just my two cents to help anyone that stumbles upon this in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.