Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

is CPU speed or RAM more important?

This is a discussion on is CPU speed or RAM more important? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm building a new computer but trying to figure out which is more important, faster CPU or more RAM, not

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pin

I'm building a new computer but trying to figure out which is more important, faster CPU or more RAM, not a hardcore gamer-will play games though, lots of data storage-movies, music, photos, online usage, I was thinking about a Pentium 4 CPU(640) 3.2 GHZ with 4GB RAM, is that too much? should it be 2GB RAM? or is 3.0 GMHZ better with 2GB RAM or 4GB RAM? I was thinking P4 3.2 GHZ with 4GB RAM for my PC build, thanks

Old 10-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

I love these opinion threads. So, therefore here is the answer to your question from the way I see it:

YES, is the exact and true answer. Meaning, it kind of depends upon what you want to do with a computer.

Therefore, you have given that, so the answer has to be, go with the faster CPU every time and a max of 2 gigs of ram. Even more important than 2 gigs or ram is Quality Ram and not the cheap run of the mill type.

In my opinion, (see I do love to say that), rarely with the usage you have stated will you use even more than 1 gig of ram, but what the heck, if you can afford it go for the 2 for that extra edge. Spend the rest of your bucks to get a faster and more modern CPU. If you have the bucks, anyone for a dual core??????

Old 10-30-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36
Hi,

I love these opinion threads. So, therefore here is the answer to your question from the way I see it:

YES, is the exact and true answer. Meaning, it kind of depends upon what you want to do with a computer.

Therefore, you have given that, so the answer has to be, go with the faster CPU every time and a max of 2 gigs of ram. Even more important than 2 gigs or ram is Quality Ram and not the cheap run of the mill type.

In my opinion, (see I do love to say that), rarely with the usage you have stated will you use even more than 1 gig of ram, but what the heck, if you can afford it go for the 2 for that extra edge. Spend the rest of your bucks to get a faster and more modern CPU. If you have the bucks, anyone for a dual core??????
What Tubleweed36 said
Old 10-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

also depending on the games you may play, 1GB is sometimes better than 2GB, assuming its quality ram.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger025
also depending on the games you may play, 1GB is sometimes better than 2GB, assuming its quality ram.
From the original post : not a hardcore gamer-will play games though, lots of data storage-movies, music, photos, manipulating graphics can use a lot of memory. So at least 1 gig.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:39 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

You may have issues with running anything over 2GB of memory in WinXP. WinXP 32bit will only address 2GB of memory. You would need WinXP 64bit to use 4GB of memory.

You could install 4GB of memory but the OS would only use 2GB of it and still may have stability problems.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

hey thanks for the feedback here
so I decided to go for the P4 3.0 or 3.2 GHZ(depending on the price) with 2GB RAM(Kingston or Mushkin or Corsair-again depending on prices) probably get 2 of 1GB RAM, that way at least I have the other 2 memory slots open if I wanna add more RAM later in future
Old 10-31-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Note: Just make sure that the motherboard you get supports the ram choice. Good luck
Old 10-31-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmn
Note: Just make sure that the motherboard you get supports the ram choice. Good luck

yeah it will, the Intel BOXD915PBLL, it supports up to PC4200 RAM, which are the ones I be getting, thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
yeah it will, the Intel BOXD915PBLL, it supports up to PC4200 RAM, which are the ones I be getting, thanks
I'm not sure what your budget is, but have you considered the Athlon 64 x2 3800+, its $320. Great for multitasking as well as games which would be perfect for you.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:02 PM   #11

just remember what joe mentioned about the 32 bit xp and the ram limitations.
good luck
Old 10-31-2005, 02:14 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jisc123
I'm not sure what your budget is, but have you considered the Athlon 64 x2 3800+, its $320. Great for multitasking as well as games which would be perfect for you.
Hi,

I want to add something here. I have a P4 and an Athlon 3700 San Diego. The suggestion above or any Athlon choice in the neighborhood of 3500+ or greater will give you more bang for the buck than either Pentium you have mentioned in your post. You might want to consider that area before you buy. This is just a suggestion because both chips are great products.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:49 PM   #13
Registered Member

I like Pentiums, maybe in the future I may get something else but for now I'll stay with the Pentium, thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 04:23 AM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
I like Pentiums, maybe in the future I may get something else but for now I'll stay with the Pentium, thanks
Yea!!!
An Intel Fan!!!
I don't feel like an outcast now.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:49 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazijoe
Yea!!!
An Intel Fan!!!
I don't feel like an outcast now.
I guess that makes sense when AMD clearly has a superior product in most operations right now. Dont get me wrong, if intel had a better product then I'd support them.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:57 AM   #16
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jisc123
I guess that makes sense when AMD clearly has a superior product in most operations right now. Dont get me wrong, if intel had a better product then I'd support them.
I don't want to debate the Intel/AMD on this thread but my choice for Intel is mainly for reliability. Having opt for AMD in the past sent sour grapes down my throat. I can't afford to be down.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:12 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazijoe
I don't want to debate the Intel/AMD on this thread but my choice for Intel is mainly for reliability. Having opt for AMD in the past sent sour grapes down my throat. I can't afford to be down.
I agree, I dont want to turn this into an intel/amd flame war either, but what chipset did your motherboard have? Unfortunately, back in the day, there were a few amd chipsets that had problems. Since then however they have improved dramatically.
However, in your case if you've had problems with AMD and don't wish to use them thats perfectly fine. I understand completely.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

To be quite honest, they both are great products. I have always used Intel and have always found them Rock Solid. A few years ago, I built a couple of machines with AMD and found that although a decent product they weren't as stable as the Intel. The last one I built in that era also ran very hot. I Have been using Intel for years now and am very pleased. One of my present personal machines is a P4 2.8 and is a great machine.

For my last built, I thought I would give the AMD another try just to compare so purchased an Athlon 64 San Diego 3700+. It is a great CPU, fast, rock solid, and runs cool. Therefore, in my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with either and both have outstanding features and are a bargain. I just don't think you can honestly say that one is better than the other one at this time if you compare the newer models.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:42 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36
Hi,

To be quite honest, they both are great products. I have always used Intel and have always found them Rock Solid.
To relate this discussion to the thread, Athlon 64 X2 3800+ is perfect for multitasking and slower right now than regular A64s for gaming. The Pentium 4 still slightly outperforms the athlon 64 in many encoding operations. The simple answer: Choose the processor based on what you do, not what brand you prefer.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The Intel board is a great choice, nice and stable boards. A P4 3.2 CPU will easily handle multimedia and gaming. I would go with the 2 Gig of Ram, Make sure it is matched ram like Corsair TwinX2048 Dual Channel or better.

Get yourself a good gaming video card and dont skimp on the power supply. Enermax or Antec 500 watt or higher PSU will feed the system with nice and stable power which is required for high powered PC's.

Also consider not using the boxed CPU fan and thermal pad that comes with the Intel CPU's. A Thermalright XP-90 aluminum fin heatsink, 92mm fan and some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste result in a much cooler and stable running CPU.