Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

How to watercool with Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard?

This is a discussion on How to watercool with Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Ok, my problems are behind me (or will be when my new PSU arrives later today, I hope). Meaning I can and will return to my water cooling system. I'll first run it by the side, just to test all works stable now.

But here's what's bothering me:

I got the Waterchill Xternal, and my motherboard is an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, as shown in the image below:

I have a CPU, GPU and NB (Northbridge) block with the package. The problem is that the Voltage regulators, NB and SB all are interconnected by one and the same copper passive cooling body. Unless they can be uncoupled somehow, this means that if I want to watercool the NB, I have to remove the cooling bodies from the SB and the voltage regulators as well.

I'm not really sure which of these chipsets generates most warmth and how well they all need to be cooled? I've seen plenty motherboards where the voltage regulators only have a small cooling body, not connected to the NB or so. As for the SB, what does it do? It sais Alife on the picture and in the manual mentions SLI on the chip. I don't use SLI, does that mean the SB isn't really used?

I don't really want to saw the original block to pieces, in case of future upgrade and selling the motherboard.

What are my options? I could simply watercool GPU and CPU only, but have read in several places that the absence of CPU fan lowers ventilation on the copper passive cooling body, which in turn isn't good.

I have 2 80mm fans blowing in air through the front, one 80mm blowing out through the back, and one 120mm blowing in from the side.

As far as I know these are my options:

A)
* Buy watercool block for the voltage regulator.
* Buy watercool block for the Southbridge/Northbridge.
* Use the chipset cooler which came with the Asetek for the 3rd chip

Fully watercooled, but massive tubings and yet another £60 to spend...

B)
* Buy watercool block for the voltage regulator.
* Use Asetek block for Northbridge
* Buy a passive cooling Zalman block for the Southbridge

C)
* Use Asetek block for Northbridge
* Find some cheap separate block for the voltage regulator
* Buy a passive cooling Zalman block for the Southbridge

D)
* Only watercool CPU and GPU and see to it the case ventilation is good, so the chipset keeps a decent temperature as is.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this, or suggestions for what alternatives there are to purchase.

Cheers,
Joris

Old 01-24-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to MaverickUK
The Southbridge chipset controls the PS2, Serial Ports, USB etc. The Northbridge controls the CPU, GPU and memory. The chipsets don't really need cooling to be honest, you should just stick to cooling the GPU, CPU etc. You could always get a feltier too, to help with the cooling process of the system or specific parts if you wish.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickUK View Post
. . . could always get a feltier too, to help with . . .
i think that should read peltier (cooler).
Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Haha, that's the one!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

So stick with CPU and GPU then, to start with, and see how things fare?

A suggestion I (and particularly my credit card bill) likes

Gotta rush back to work, did a very quick search in google for 'Peltier'.
Are those commonly sold for pc's? Never seen them on any site or so.

Any links and prices would be nice.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:50 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yes JorisS, it'll be way more practical and cost efficient, but at the same time you'll be protecting your computer efficiently and effectively. See how it goes with just CPU and GPU, if you have any problems just post back and we'll go from there. It's hard to find a decent peltier at the moment, but as soon as i find a good one i'll post back.

Peltiers are more often than not used for gaming computers - they are an alternative to using water cooling, pipes or fans. They are worked by placing a voltage on the line and thus making the module produce cold air.

Edit: Try here; http://www.ferrotec.com/products/the...FR_wgAodlzXUQA

Good luck,
Nick.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
I agree 100% water cool the CPU & GPU only let good air flow take care of the motherboard NB & SB

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 01-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Thanks. Those Peltiers give me the scary feeling the aforementioned credit card bill would gain an impressive load

I'll pick up the PSU today, but unfortunately I have soccer practise tonight so I don't think I'll get around to installing the water cooling before tomorrow or perhaps friday, as I want to test it by the side for a while to check I'm not getting anymore random shutdowns.

But I'll post some results here, for those interested!
Right now the rig is a bit of a heater under my desk (not optimal to have it there I know, but some things one has to simply make do with), with CPU at 40 degrees in idle, GPU around 45 and motherboard 40 or so as well.

With all the current fans it actually seemed that I got lower temps (particularly CPU) without the side fan, perhaps it was somehow working against the CPU fan. I'll see how things go with the water cooling.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yeah, that's just an option JorisS, you wont need it for what you require, but it may be an option once you start taking on more loads and hardware. The reason it may be cooler without the side fan is because imagine if you had a back door parralel to a front door and a hallway from one to the other, if you open another door either side of you it will act as an escape route and the air will be going in two directions as to one, thus making less air go straight through and less cooling effect (i hope this makes sense lol).

Remember, the peltier is only an option, you wont need it ^_^.