Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Help with Gateway GT5656 crashing on boot sequence at startup

This is a discussion on Help with Gateway GT5656 crashing on boot sequence at startup within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Specs here: Gateway Official Site: Gateway® GT5656

Hello new guy here,

Have owned my GT5656 since new and never modified it. Recently had prolonged start up sequence with the system occassionally turning off after the Gateway screen flash and boot menu. Gateway tech advised to reinstall Windows Vista. (still same problem) and then later use system recovery disk to repair/reset.(still same problem) This period lasted about 1 week and now the machine turns off after the Gateway boot menu. No longer enters Windows although occassionally the blue screen flashes with the scrollwork. It shuts down at that point.

Installed a new UPS, a 500W system. System powers on and can hear the fan but same issue as before in that it crashes and turns off entirely after the Gateway Boot Menu. I did not do a System Recovery or Windows reinstall after installing the new UPS.

What else should I try? video card or motherboard? Some other?

I read regarding the CPU heatsink coming loose. I will verify that one this evening. I check RAM and CMOS battery then as well.

Pardon if in the wrong folder.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

How old id the PC? Have you made any changes to the original hardware configuration?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I hope it wasnt a ups you installed and it was a psu. what type of psu was it?

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Bought new Jan 2008. No mods. Updated bios and drivers over the years via Gateway site and Windows updates for their OS.

I mean PSU not UPS (thinking about work while typing)

It is an Ultra X4 500Watt ULT40364

Still the same result as before changing the PSU
Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Ultra make one of the worst power supplies you can get and they are bad. You should be running a good psu make and you should be running 550w. Good makes are seasonic, corsair and xfx

Old 06-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Ditto ^

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

BCCHardware - Your Daily Tech News & Reviews - Ultra X4 500W Modular PSU

Ultra X-4 500 Watt Power Supply Review-Hi Tech Legion-Ultra X-4 500 Watt Power Supply Review
Old 06-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

doesn't matter what those results say its an Ultra I used to test PSUs for a living and ultra were always within the worst top 10 of power supplies infact they were always about number 6. Ultra were like tagan which some places said were good but they were not and never have been.

Good power supplies are made with high quality capacitors and components and seasonic are the best they make the top end brands from corsair and xfx too.

BTW there are plenty of low end psu manufacturers which have resorted in paying online review sites to say their product is good now I am not saying ultra have done this but plenty do where as really good psu manufacturers dont have to resort to this.

Gear in this thread