Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Having troubles with what appears to be my Ram...Or is it?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Deedub 
#1 ·
Well hello everyone. I'm going to start out by saying I have little or no knowledge about computers other then playing games but have been learning a lot since I purchased my first one. Currently I'm trying to make the new one that I had built work properly with all components. Here is what I have then I'll tell you the problem. This is kind of a long thread so please bare with me.

AMD 64 3500+
Gygabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra chipset
480w Antec Truepower
BFG Geforce 6800GT OC
Corsair XMS PC3200
SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS
ATA 7200RPM 80Gb Hard drive

I had a friend put everything together and we did a couple of things on it and it appeared to be fine. When I got it home and was playing some games on it, it would either reboot automatically, crash to desktop or just freeze up. And occasionally it will give me what appears to be a OS Serious Error on boot up.

Now let me just tell you all that I have ran Memtest on the first twin pack of ram and it came up with faulty ram errors 15% into test. So I returned them (Newegg) and while I was waiting for the replacement I put in my old ram from my old computer. The old ram is like DDR233 or 333, not sure. The ram worked great, no errors, no crashes, nothing. After running Memtest for 2600% there were no errors.

Then I got the replacement ram, I was so excited. Then the same thing happened again. Memtest found faulty ram error after like 50% of test. After doing some research I found that the ram I was trying to use (Corsair XMS DDR500) was not compatible with the mobo. So I returned them and purchased Corsair XMS DDR400. Wouldn't you know it, the same thing happened in Dual Channel. A friend of mine told me to put it in Single Channel so I tried it and I haven't had a problem since. Currently I have my Corsair XMS Twin Pack in Single Channel mode and would like to optimize by utilizing the Dual Channel. That's what AMD64 is made for right?

So, here's the deal. I don't want to waste anymore money so if someone could possibly help me with finding the remedy I would really appreciate it.

Stumped,
Deedub :upset:

See less See more
#2 ·
I have just checked up on the motherboard that you bought and from what I can tell the board does not support dual channel memory.

I checked gigabytes site and there is no mention of it on there on in the manual that I downloaded.

Plus for dual channel memory there is generally 4 RAM sockets 2 one colour and 2 another colour. So that is probably where you problem lies unless there is a different revision of the motherboard that is not mentioned.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Deedub you mentioned you have your modules placed in one red and one blue(1 & 3) or (2 & 4) slots. Did you go in your BIOS to make sure your memory frequency is set for 400 DDR. If I'm following you right this is what has to be done in order for you to get dual-channel. If that doesn't work I'm sorry :sad: I can't help you further.

#5 · (Edited)
Yeah Quizme1220. Someone else was telling me that too, and I have been trying to figure out how but I just can't figure. I have looked throughout the manual and It is very vague. I've tried looking online but I just can't find out how. Do you know? I will be in debt to you forever if you can help me. OK, OK, I would just really appreciate it :pray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.