Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Have I killed my CPU with no heat grease?

This is a discussion on Have I killed my CPU with no heat grease? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First off I accept I am an ID10T! I removed the CPU cooler from my Dell Laptop as it was

Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

First off I accept I am an ID10T!

I removed the CPU cooler from my Dell Laptop as it was getting very hot and the fan ran continuously (it is ~4 years old). I used a vacuum to suck the dust (plenty) off the cooler fins and then replaced it into the Laptop. I did all the usual things like remove all cables, power and battery before doing this, BUT I did not put new thermal paste on the CPU after removing the cooler. I didn't realise that it sets hard - I thought it was still sticky and was extremely careful not to disturb it. That was all I did - I did not mess with anything else (ram, HDD etc).

It started up perfectly and worked for the evening (and ever so quietly).

The following morning when I switched it on, it came on for a couple of minutes, the hit a BSOD. From there on I could not get the PC to start up. It will not even show up the bios screen. There are some blue lights that flicker on and off (numlock, HDD and power) but after a short while they just stay on and I cannot boot in. There is a slight glow on the screen, so I think the screen is powering on.

My Laptop details are
Dell Inspiron 1420
Win7
CPU: LF80537 T7250 7746A601 SLA49
Intel 2.00/2M/800

The machine is still perfect for me, so if possible I was hoping it may just be a blown (overheated) CPU and I could replace it with a new one (and put grease on this time)! I see there are some second hand ones available for ~$70 on eBay with a warranty that could do the trick, but I am not sure how to tell if it is the CPU that is faulty and was hoping someone could tell me if I am wasting my time or maybe it is not the CPU. If I have to send it in, I could be in for more money than just buying a new one, and it may not necessarily be cost effective to repair.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

First, be certain you have everything reconnected properly. Once your certain all is well,
Remove the CPU heatsink, thoroughly clean all old paste from the CPU & Heatsink with 90% Isopropyl alcohol, apply fresh paste and see if it will boot.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

I agree with Tyree,

Also flashing lights when it powers up is usually a RAM problem, Make sure its seated properly if that still doesn't work try moving one of them and test for a fault piece or RAM slot.

Please post Hardware Specifications of your computer.(Including Power Supply!).
Memtest86+ | Seatools
How to Benchtest
Info & Selection of PSU's
A1tecice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thannks for the advice/help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
First, be certain you have everything reconnected properly. Once your certain all is well,
Remove the CPU heatsink, thoroughly clean all old paste from the CPU & Heatsink with 90% Isopropyl alcohol, apply fresh paste and see if it will boot.
I will remove clean and replace with new paste and see what happens. Just have to go and get some paste. the only thing I removed was the heatsink, so pretty sure nothing else changed. Does the CPU have some way of detecting that the connection to the heatsink is poor (other than the temperature rising)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1tecice View Post
Also flashing lights when it powers up is usually a RAM problem, Make sure its seated properly if that still doesn't work try moving one of them and test for a fault piece or RAM slot.
Just to clarify here. The lights do not flash in a pattern, just like the unit was going to start or something, but stops pretty soon. I have not touched the ram for at least a year - is it likely to fail due to overheating or something like that? I will remove both 2GB chips and start with one and then the other and see what happens.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

OK, so I have now done the following as suggested:

1. Cleaned off the old paste from the CPU and heatsink and reinstalled the CPU/heatsink with new paste.
2. Removed both sticks of RAM and replaced one in the lower slot.

Tried to start up, with the same issues - lights flicker on , screen glows a bit but no bios screen. Tried to plug in an external monitor (Fn+F8) to check if there is a problem with the laptop screen, and nothing shows on the external monitor either. The laptop screen does go black when I change over, so I think the screen is working.

Shutdown and tried the other RAM stick - still the same, then installed both RAM sticks - still the same. No bios showing up. Any further checks you can think of?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

My best guess is you did not connect something properly or a connector was damaged.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
ROG Enthusiast

My System

try one RAM stick at a time, just to make sure there isisnt a fault one that you killed by static accidentally.

Memtest86+ | Seatools
How to Benchtest
Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1tecice View Post
try one RAM stick at a time, just to make sure there isisnt a fault one that you killed by static accidentally.
OP tried that....Post #5.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
ROG Enthusiast

My System

Uhha derp never saw that :P

Memtest86+ | Seatools
How to Benchtest
Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Do you get any error beeps when you boot it with the RAM removed ?

In the absence of any of those, then I think that would be the only way to confirm if it was the CPU unless you took it in to a repair shop to have it fully checked out.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
Do you get any error beeps when you boot it with the RAM removed ?
OK no RAM chips - no beeps but there are two lights that flash consistently and don't stop (Caps and Scr) and Num is on consistently. The only other light that is on is the Power.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Registered Member

and to finish the above post - when I put them back in again, only the Caps light (and power) come on.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

No RAM installed and no beeps from the Mobo speaker on boot indicates a Mobo problem.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
Registered Member

to continue from post #12... and then... after about a minute there is HDD activity (flashing busy HDDlight) but no screen display.

Then Voila!!! after about 10 minutes the Win7 desktop appeared. I cannot believe it. There was plenty of HDD activity for about 30 minutes, then it calmed down. I rebooted and up came the bios screen and it went into Win7 desktop and all activity of the HDD seems pretty normal. I will let it all run a while and see what happens. Are there any simple diagnostics I should try and run?

Thanks so much for your patience, time and help.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Run the System File checker utility

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
Wrench97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Dell computers have a built in Dell PC Diagnostic program.

This link takes you to the Contents Page Documentation and when you click on Troubleshooting you'll be presented with another list which contains a link for the PC Diagnostic prog.

This link is similar and while for a 32bit OS, is much more comprehensive as it includes a list of the error codes which may apply equally to the 64bit system Information - How to Run the Dell Diagnostics Utility & Error Code List | PC Help Forum

This one is a bit more individual Dell Hardware Diagnostics | Dell UK

Happy reading
Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
Run the System File checker utility
Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
Thanks - ran this, and no problems found. Step 1 good. Will now run the diagnostics suggested below.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Dell computers have a built in Dell PC Diagnostic program.
OK, so now ran the diagnostic program (F12 on bootup) and it was all fine. Tried to restart and.... no bios screen, no Win startup screen, although there is a heap of HDD activity. Back to the beginning. How wierd is that? Could it be a virus or software related? The SFC scan above seems to have eliminated that problem?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Try booting up with F8 to select Last Known Good Configuraton as it now has one ?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Try booting up with F8 to select Last Known Good Configuraton as it now has one ?
Just tried that (hit F8 on startup), but with no evident display, it doesn't come up with the screen to make the choice of safe start, last good etc. I let it start and run, but nothing came up (yet).

Hmmm...