Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

GT5622 Motherboard failure

This is a discussion on GT5622 Motherboard failure within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everyone, About 2 months ago I alt tabbed out of a game (Last Remnant) to have my audio freak

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

About 2 months ago I alt tabbed out of a game (Last Remnant) to have my audio freak out (remixing the output). I restarted my computer and the light behind my power button turned off, and my processor fan sped up. This happens alternatively (if the light turns on, the fan slows down) for about 15 minutes until my whole system freezes. When it first occured my device manager couldnt find any audio support, despite installing new audio drivers continually. Now it cant pick up video either... which pretty much makes it a "dumb" computer. I was at first thinking it was a power supply issue, but im more leaning towards it being a motherboard overheating problem. Especially since it freezes in small intervals the more often I attempt to keep it on.

Im running a Gateway GT5622 stock, with the exception of a Geforce 8600 GT 512 ram. (This has run consistently well for a year and a half until that fateful day)

most of the component specifications can be found here: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/10...4733Rcl3.shtml

As a followup:

If we agree that this happens to be a motherboard issue, I was curios if an intel 945GC chipset would be compatible with an E2160 Dual core processor, despite my previous motherboard using a 945G chipset Northbridge. I know the 945G doesnt support Core Duo processors, and the 945 GC does.

I tried talking to customer support from Intel and Gateway (clearly limited support), but I was curios if this motherboard would be compatible with my processor. I was thinking of getting a
ASRock 945GCM-S LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (found on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157145 )

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Check the Bios to see if it has a PC health page and check the CPU and chipset temps.

AS for the CPU support list for the Biostar board can be found here> http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=945GCM-S&s=775

The 945P/G boards have limited support for the newer C2D's I would set my sights a litle higher maybe a G31 chipset which will add Quad support.
Closed Thread
Gear in this thread