Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First build

800 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dzme14 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally gathered and assembled the parts to my first custom build today. Most of the parts are new, though I have recycled my GPU, HDD, and disc drive.

CPU: Intel Core I7 2700k
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M, 850W
GPU: Radeon HD 6850
Mobo: Asus P8P67 WS revolution
RAM: 16GB(4x4) Corsair Vengeance, DDR3
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 advanced

Anyway, after spending a long day assembling and pinning wires out of the way (somewhat unsuccessfully) I powered on to find that it didn't work. The monitor never came on, no sounds came from the BIOS to signal a problem, and as far as I can tell, POST didn't even finish.

When I first power on, the case lights up and fans start running for a split second, then shut off for about 3 seconds before coming back on as they should. Additionally, the CPU_DIAG LED is lit up from the moment it receives power.

Being my first build, it was a great concern to me that the ZIF lever didn't really feel like Zero Insertion Force. I read online that it's normal for it to take some pressure, so I dismissed it and closed the latch. Beyond that, the CPU fit perfectly in the socket. Edit: One other thing of note, is that after closing and reopening the socket latch, the CPU has two tiny silver scratches where the latch meets it. I don't know if this is to be expected or not.

Any ideas what may be causing the problem?

See less See more
#6 ·
Ahhhahaha. Atleast it's normal to feel like a newb in this situation, I know I didn't plug it in! It's well past the appropriate time to be messing with computers, so I will try again in the morning. Hopefully I won't be back with more problems - Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.