Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed to boot

2K views 28 replies 4 participants last post by  Eli Stout 
#1 ·
I'm gonna start this off by saying my computer cant make it to the desktop for some reason. Ive checked my bios and half of the time my harddrive is not there and when it is and I accept it will say (windows 8) "Your computer didnt boot properly, Click restart or advanced options. Ive tried both but they both lead to my computer restarting and going to the "please insert boot media".
Please help

#2 ·
and welcome to the Forum

The most likely cause is drive failure . . If you do not have a backup, the first thing to do is take the drive out and copy any files you cherish to another drive

Then, you can run diagnostics on the hard drive by downloading Seatools and making a bootable disc. Do the short and long test.

If either test fails, the drive needs to be replaced.

See this for how to make a bootable cd:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f149/how-to-burn-a-bootable-iso-file-341778.html

#23 ·
and welcome to the Forum

The most likely cause is drive failure . . If you do not have a backup, the first thing to do is take the drive out and copy any files you cherish to another drive

Then, you can run diagnostics on the hard drive by downloading Seatools and making a bootable disc. Do the short and long test.

If either test fails, the drive needs to be replaced.

See this for how to make a bootable cd:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f149/how-to-burn-a-bootable-iso-file-341778.html <===========

#3 ·
Hi Eli Stout,

I also have feeling that the culprit of your computer issue is a bad hard drive. May I ask, what is the brand/model of your computer. Please list your computer specs when you can. We can definitely troubleshoot your computer issue more by knowing your computer specs. Is your computer a desktop or a laptop computer?

#10 ·
Hi Eli Stout,

If you connected your bro's HDD onto your computer and his HDD already had an OS installed on it, your computer would definitely NOT boot up properly. May I ask, did you get an error when you connected your bro's HDD onto your computer?

#28 ·
Are you able to boot with the New Hard Drive?

Always create a system image once you get all updates and drivers set, this way all you need is to insert the new Hard Drive and you off to playing steam instantly (just for future reference when your primary boot fails again) Happy Holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.