Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excessively hot CPU

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hello there!

I have an Ubuntu server with an Intel Pentium D 3.4GHz. I am monitoring the temperature via command line, and as the temperature rises, the server becomes slower and slower. It's a home web server/testing rig, and I sometimes have to turn it off to let the cpu cool down.

Because it's enormously frustrating when I have to turn it off while uploading a particularly large file/webpage, I was wondering if I could disconnect the CPU power (while it's off, of course) and power it back on to let the fans cool it down quicker, and hopefully keep it under 50 degrees while in use.

I'm asking this because it takes a really long time to cool back down to room temperature/ambient environment temperature and was wanting to speed this up a bit.

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
No, I am not using a stock cooler, and I have recently cleaned out all the dust from the heatsink and fan (also reapplied adequate thermal paste after removing the heatsink to ensure that the CPU is trasferring heat into the heatsink).

My original question was whether I could unplug the CPU power cable from the motherboard, power on the computer and let the fans cool the CPU without the CPU from being active and generating more heat.

Thanks in advance!

#6 ·
PC Specs & age?
Pre- Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

If there is no dust buildup on the CPU heatsink/fan, possibly the Thermal paste is dried and ineffective.

#7 ·
The PC Specs are as follows:
Model: Acer Aspire M1641
Processor: (Upgraded) Single Core Intel Pentium D 3.4GHz
Motherboard:
- Processor*Socket LGA775*Socket
- Data*Bus*Speed 800*MHz

PSU: 250W 230V AC
RAM: 4GB DDR2
HDD: 250GB PATA 7200rpm
Graphics: None (i.e. no graphics card, computer uses Ubuntu command line interface).

As mentioned in my previous post, I stated that the Thermal Paste was brand new, acquired from IT professionals.

#10 ·
If the Server is slowing down as the heat rises, that would indicate a heat issue.
I would suggest reapplying thermal paste.
Check/Monitor the Temps & Voltages in the Bios. An old OEM PSU might be an issue.

#12 ·
As stated above, I reapplied adequate thermal paste in an attempt to improve the heat conductivity after the first time the server overheated and shut itself off.

I don't know how the PSU would be an issue though...the currently installed 250W PSU seems to be more than enough to power everything nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.