Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Emachines T5230 - upgrading

This is a discussion on Emachines T5230 - upgrading within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Alright, first off what I got: Emachines T5230 [ link ] Now has 2gb ram Nividia 8600gt video card (

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Alright, first off what I got:

Emachines T5230 [ link ]
Now has 2gb ram
Nividia 8600gt video card ( would like to go to a 9800, but will need a PSU, read below )

Now, what I am wanting to do if upgrade the mobo on this rig, mainly so i can use more ram (planning on switching to windows 7, from vista). Currently I am capped at 2gb. I am wanting to be able to use somewhere between 6gb-10gb of ram.

But I am lost on what type of mobo I would need to buy, also what else I would need.

Once I get the mobo figured out, I plan on getting a new PSU as well. Which I am about clueless on when it comes to either of these.

A friend of mine pointed out he thinks it is a "uATX" style board, but yet I haven't been able to find anything on this.

Thanks anyone in advance for answers.

Happy Holidays by the way!

Old 12-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Do you know what cpu is in the emachine?
Plan on a new case as well.
I would think about building new and keep that as a spare machine or sell it, heck you need a new mobo,case,ram and psu already

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

Mosyt E-machines us e a small Mid-Toer case and a mATX Mobo. Most mATX Mobo's only have two RAM slots though they are usually capable of using 2X2 GB.
If you are going to get a new Mobo I would strongly suggest purchasing a case also. Then you will have the option of using an ATX Mobo.
Larger GPU's produce more heat and those small cases don't have sufficient airflow.
A matched pair of 2X2 GB of RAM is more than sufficient. Any more than that is wasted money for something you can't use.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby View Post
Do you know what cpu is in the emachine?
Plan on a new case as well.
I would think about building new and keep that as a spare machine or sell it, heck you need a new mobo,case,ram and psu already
From the case & emachines site:
"AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor 4400+
64-bit processor with AMD64 Technology
(2.3GHz | 2 x 512MB L2 Cache | 2000MHz System Bus)"
Old 12-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Mosyt E-machines us e a small Mid-Toer case and a mATX Mobo. Most mATX Mobo's only have two RAM slots though they are usually capable of using 2X2 GB.
If you are going to get a new Mobo I would strongly suggest purchasing a case also. Then you will have the option of using an ATX Mobo.
Larger GPU's produce more heat and those small cases don't have sufficient airflow.
A matched pair of 2X2 GB of RAM is more than sufficient. Any more than that is wasted money for something you can't use.

I was thinking about doing that, seeing as most cases come with a decent PSU as well. Any direction you could point me in?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
I was thinking about doing that, seeing as most cases come with a decent PSU as well. Any direction you could point me in?
Most of the PSU's that come with the cases are usually low quality.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinu1der2 View Post
Most of the PSU's that come with the cases are usually low quality.
After looking at a few different cases, I've noticed this. But when it comes to a good name to look for, I haven't a clue. I'd like to stay at a lower price, I just don't have a ton of cash to spend currently, let alone to dump into a computer.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

CoolerMaster and Antec are solid cases and both have some nice units in the $50 range.
Do you have a good quality PSU? If not, a 500W Seasonic runs about $70.
I don't do any AMD builds so I can't comment on a compatible Mobo for your CPU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Is your video card pcie?
What operating system are you planning on installing?
The emachine operating system won't work because of the motherboard change.

Go here http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+1070930149&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=22&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Look at the boards and find a price & features you want then post the link's here and I'll try and explain the differance. The new board must have a socket AM2/AM2+. Stay with Asus, gigabyte or biostar as the brand.

When you have a few choices I will recommend one and check and make sure your cpu is compatible. We will then look at ram and psu's but it all starts with the motherboard

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby
Is your video card pcie?
Yes

Quote:
What operating system are you planning on installing?
Thinking of Windows 7, I do have a copy of XP laying around I haven't used.

Quote:
When you have a few choices I will recommend one and check and make sure your cpu is compatible. We will then look at ram and psu's but it all starts with the motherboard
I'll look around and see what I find.

Anyone have a ballpark figure of what this all will cost?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby View Post
Few that I looked at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138124
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138138
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131324
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131318
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138137
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138143
Old 12-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131324

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138124

The boards are all some what similar but those 2 would be my choices the Asus first because it has a few more features such as esata and firewire ports. Asus is a top of the line board, biostar in my oppinion is a step down but they are good stable long lasting boards. The biostar is a atx board as compared to the asus matx, the big difference is you get more pci and pcie slots for add in cards with the biostar so plan accordingly. The asus board accepts up to 8 gig of ram the biostar 16g, I don't know why you need that much ram you mentioned between 8 and 10 gig?

With that much ram you are going to have to run a 64 bit operating system, 32 bit vesions only see about 3.2 so windows 7 64 bit would be the way to go. Keep in mind you could dual boot XP and windows 7 as long as XP is installed first and 2 partitions are created first for XP 2nd for 7. This also assumes the hardrive you have is at least 250gig I would not dual boot with less, its possible but thats my oppinion.

The hardrive/drives you have are sata correct? If not thats a problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Thats the psu you should get with that price,rebate and shipping you can't go wrong and you will be coverd for future upgrades and I can see you upgrading to a quad core processor, yes both motherboards will accept a quad. There are other psu choices but in my oppinon none better at the moment. If you do look at other psu's besure to post links here before purchase.

You asked about price well I think you can begin to total that just add for a case and ram. Ram we will cover when you pick a board but off the top of my head I'm guessing about $80 for 2X2gig sticks witch you would need to sets to get to 8 gig so $160 or so

Oh yea and windows 7 $104 or so for oem version

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

The Asus are good quality Mobo's. 4GB of RAM is more than sufficient.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:12 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Dblanchard1278 Send a message via Yahoo to Dblanchard1278

What about these motherboards? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2fAM2%2b%2fAM2 I'm sure the original poster can find a good asus or gigibyte board he can get that will allow the use of old hardware and some newer stuff to. But the original poster hasn't stated how much he has to spend yet.

After a little looking I found this motherboard for 80 buck http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131381
Just add ram, video, memory, and hard drive and I'm positive his old stuff will work with this board.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:50 AM   #15
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

For what your looking to do I would also update the CPU at this time to at least the Phenom II x2 CPU if not the X4

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread