Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

ECS nForce 3A No Boot

This is a discussion on ECS nForce 3A No Boot within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My wife started having some troubles with a new computer I biult for her last year. She said latley it

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

My wife started having some troubles with a new computer I biult for her last year. She said latley it had been making a clicking noise and sounded like it was coming from the harddrive. Being it was about the only thing not new on the rebuild I told her to start saving her important info on CDs.

A couple days later she said she couldn;t get the CD-R to copy her files. Said she hadn't been using it for awhile becuase she had problems with it before. She also said since we were packing up our belongings for the move to our new house in a couple days she could wait.

I went out and bought a new 160 Gig HD and a DVD/CDR for her to install after the move. Well as things go, it took us a few days to finally get the computer out of their well packed boxes, find all the equiptment and get them hooked up.

Mine fired right up with no problems but hers wouldn't do anything but get a NO SIGNAL message on the screen. I have tried about everything to get it to boot with no success.

Heres what I have done so far to try and wake it up. First installed a new power supply. Took all the hardware loose and reconnected all cords. Pukked the memory and video card and reinstalled. Pulled the battery and cleard cmos by putting the pin on 3-4 for over 1 hour. I even left all hardware off but the new harddrive, pulled the mouse disconnected the CD roms and floppy drive.

I just got done trying to fire it up after installing the battery and resetting the cmos pins to 1-2. Same old thing....NO SIGNAL on the screen but the hardrive sounds like it getting power.

I bought the board (Nforce3A), AMD 3000, memory (512/400) and the video card last November/December. Other then clearing the bios and cmos...anything else I might try to get to to respond?

Thanks for any help with this. I went and bought my wife a new Intel machine last week as she uses her as much as I do mine. This machine will be used to run my metal detecting software and do all my camera photograpy on in the shop. Would sure like to get it up and running as I would love to have it as a 3rd machine for my playing around.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Not...

Hi, welcome to TSF.

What PSU and video card are you using?
Check all the cables and connections again.
Do you get any error messages (beeps) if you start the computer without the video card?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

The PSU is L&C LC B500E and the video card is a G Force 5200. Pulled the video card, pulled all the cables and reseated and still nothing. The CPU fan does run so it getting power and the PSU came from my working machine. The original PSU is running in my other machine with no problems. Now I am thinking maybe the board fried or CPU. No beep at all.

I pulled the memory card and reseated it also. Can a bad memory card keep it from getting to the front screen thou? All I get on the screen is that No Signal message.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Not...

If the RAM was bad you should get an error message on the screen.

Try clearing CMOS again, using this method:

First ground yourself by touching a radiator or the computer case.
Then unplug the computer from the wall outlet and open the case.
Remove the little "coin-like" battery on the motherboard.
Move the "clear CMOS" jumper on the motherboard from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3.
Wait 30 minutes.
Replace the jumper to pins 1&2.
Put the battery back.
Close the case and start the computer.
Enter BIOS and choose "Load setup defaults" (or something similar) - save and exit BIOS.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

Will try again but I already removed the battery and the switched cmos from 1-2 to 3-4. Left sit for 1-2 hours and restarted. Nothing, not even a the harddrive running or trying to run. Maybe another shot at it will work. Will let you know.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
Not...

Try reading the Bench test guide (link in my signature) for some good tips.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
Registered Member

Well that happened after pulling the battery and switching cmos pins. So I pulled the board for now and will have it tested for the $15. If the board is bad then I will get another board and install the AMD3100 into it for a spare shop/hobby machine.

I had an old Gigabyte 6vMLL board laying around with a Celedon 800 in it for 3-4 years a freind gave me to play with. Had a stick 256 ram in it and all the onboard hardware. Stuck it in the case, threw in an old 40 gig hardrive, CD rom and floppy and and loaded win98 on it. Took maybe an hour to start downloading my Photoshop 7 and detector program on it. Not the fastest machine but will do until I see what wrong with the nForce3a or 3100 AMD CPU.

Thanks for the help gang. This place is awesome and I can see why it one of the most happening help centers on the net. Great bunch of caring people here without attitudes.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
Not...

Thanks. Post back if you have any questions and please keep us updated.