Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Dumb quick question - New motherboard + CPU = windows reinstall?

This is a discussion on Dumb quick question - New motherboard + CPU = windows reinstall? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had an AMD XP 2100+ and switched over to an Asus A8N-Sli deluxe with Venice 3200+ as well as

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

I had an AMD XP 2100+ and switched over to an

Asus A8N-Sli deluxe with Venice 3200+ as well as a geForce 6600GT SLI.

I was hoping that I would still be able to start my computer from the same hard drive without much problem, however, that isn't the case. If I start windows XP on normal mode, instead of a loading screen from windows XP, a blue screen flashes and the computer restarts with no time to read the blue screen of death.

If I start the computer under safe mode, the computer restarts after loading all the files.

Will I have to get a fresh windows install to be able to get the computer to run, or is there any way around this?

Thank you!

Old 07-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The SYSPREP method usually allows you to avoid reinstalling Windows (see here) but you have to run SYSPREP before changing motherboards. If you've switched to a motherboard with a different chipset then Windows almost always has to be reinstalled unless you try the SYSPREP method. You may still be able to make it work by going back to your old motherboard. Personally I'd take the opportunity to do a fresh install anyway. It's a good idea to start with a nice new installation of Windows from time to time anyway.

There's also a repair method (see here) but it apparently isn't very reliable.
Quote:
- Reportedly, Windows 2000 and XP can be tricked into doing this stuff for you. The procedure is this: Shut down, install your new hardware, power on, and enter your system BIOS. Make sure your First Boot Device is set to CDROM. Insert the Windows 2000/XP setup CD and boot from this disk. (You may have to "press a key to boot from CD" as the prompt says.) Skip the initial prompt asking to repair your existing installation. Then proceed to the screen where you select a partition, and choose your existing Windows partition. Setup will detect your existing installation and ask you to repair. Say yes. When Windows Setup is complete, you should have a fully working installation with all your old user and application profiles. Everything should be intact, except your hardware and driver settings, leaving it fresh for your new motherboard.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

thank you very much. I will try reinstalling XP today. I tried using my old motherboard, but sadly, I think I did some unrepairable damage to it when I turned it on outside the case, with all the cables hanging. I smelled some burning and that was the last of that. heh... now all my old mobo/cpu say is "failed CPU test".

Man, I'm the most careless person on earth.

Luckily I still haven't killed my new system, so I'll just resort to reinstalling XP and giving it a fresh start.