Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Does a cheap motherboard affect a gaming computer's performance?

This is a discussion on Does a cheap motherboard affect a gaming computer's performance? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an Intel DH67CL motherboard, which according to everyone on the internet is okay if you don't plan on

Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I have an Intel DH67CL motherboard, which according to everyone on the internet is okay if you don't plan on using the computer for gaming.
This is my PC:
CPU: Intel i5-2500 @ 3.3Ghz(4 cores)
RAM: APACER 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 580 direct cu

So is it possible this small non-gaming motherboard, the Intel DH67CL, is degrading the performance of my gaming PC? I don't care if it doesn't support SLI or any extra features that I will never use, but I do care if it is bottlenecking the other parts of the PC.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Gaming | Tech
Hardware Tech
Master Hatt Inspecteur

My System

Yes, a low end board would effect gaming, though not as much as a low end cpu or gpu.

On its own, you won't be able to play very many games. Though a dedicated GPU would help a lot.

If you got a graphics card, you would be able to game, but don't expect to play anything on ultra :p

wkw427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
So is it possible this small non-gaming motherboard, the Intel DH67CL, is degrading the performance of my gaming PC?
Define "gaming mb".

Basicly the chipset is determinant, yours has a H67 chipset. And no matter if its an Intel or ASUS Maximus Pro Killer Feature FPS Fatality Board. As long as there is an H67, P67 or Z68 chipset installed, they have the same performance (differents are only measureable).

They just differ in their equipment and features.

Best Sandy Bridge motherboard: 8 reviewed: TechRadar Labs becnhmarks | News | TechRadar
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held213 View Post
Define "gaming mb".

Basicly the chipset is determinant, yours has a H67 chipset. And no matter if its an Intel or ASUS Maximus Pro Killer Feature FPS Fatality Board. As long as there is an H67, P67 or Z68 chipset installed, they have the same performance (differents are only measureable).

They just differ in their equipment and features.

Best Sandy Bridge motherboard: 8 reviewed: TechRadar Labs becnhmarks | News | TechRadar
So the answer is yes or no?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Gaming | Tech
Hardware Tech
Master Hatt Inspecteur

My System

What kind of games do you plan on playing?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

The Mobo can "effect" the gaming quality but the GPU is generally the most important component for gaming followed by the CPU.
Intel Mobo's aren't the rock solid component of a few yrs. back but your PC should have no problems with any games out there at this time if you have a good quality PSU with sufficient power.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
The Mobo can "effect" the gaming quality but the GPU is generally the most important component for gaming followed by the CPU.
Intel Mobo's aren't the rock solid component of a few yrs. back but your PC should have no problems with any games out there at this time if you have a good quality PSU with sufficient power.
Yes I'm replacing the PSU today or tomorrow; it took very long for him to reply; when he tells me which brands he has to sell, I'll list them on my other thread(Is a 700W Thermaltake Litepower PSU adequate for my gaming rig?) so you can tell me which one is the best.
I was just asking this question about the motherboard in case replacing the PSU doesn't solve the problems.
Edit: If replacing the PSU doesn't solve the gaming issues, I'll be very obsessive and determined on this thread to get an answer that isn't vague.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkw427 View Post
What kind of games do you plan on playing?
Starcraft 2, Skyrim, Alice: Madness Returns, etc... all on ultra of course.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Gaming | Tech
Hardware Tech
Master Hatt Inspecteur

My System

It'll run the games, yes, but you can't tell if they will run ultra or not. It depends on many, MANY other things.
See my sig please :-I

Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

All SeaSonic- All XFX- Most Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series) are top quality PSU's.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkw427 View Post

It'll run the games, yes, but you can't tell if they will run ultra or not. It depends on many, MANY other things.
See my sig please :-I
How to edit the signature? I mean the place where it says "System Specs" on the left?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Moderator hardware team

My System

Quote:
How to edit the signature? I mean the place where it says "System Specs" on the left?
Click on User CP at the top of any page.
Scroll down to Settings and Options. Click Edit Options
Scroll down to Thread Display Options. Enter your Info.
Scroll to bottom of the page. Click Save Changes
Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
So the answer is yes or no?
Answers no.

Quote:
Thats the point.

The different Intel chipset don't do much to the performance, it is not determinant whether you have a H61, H67 or P67 chipset from ASUS, Intel, MSI or whatever. The main differences can be found with the feature list.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Answers no.
Okay, so it doesn't effect gaming?

Quote:
Quote:
The Mobo can "effect" the gaming quality
Thats the point.
Wait, you're saying it does affect gaming?
You're confusing me again...
Old 07-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware

Are you experiencing any problems in games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
your PC should have no problems with any games out there at this time if you have a good quality PSU with sufficient power.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBM-man View Post

Wait, you're saying it does affect gaming?
You're confusing me again...
Bottom line the only thing the H version will effect is overclocking, the PCIe lanes work at the same speeds, the boards just do not have the robust voltage regulation section and heat sinks needed for heavy overclocks where you need to raise the voltage to the motherboard chipset and ram.
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
The difference are measureable (in best case), but not noticeable. Look at the linked test, where they tested the gaming performance.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

The only difference is in the heatsinks, hence the heat transfer, the chipset is the same. The voltage regulation could be the same as that's up to the board manufacturer to design the vast majority if not all will have a lower end regulation circuits as the board is designed for different market.

Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote